site stats WhizGidget Wonders...
Tuesday, May 16, 2006
Latent Creativity...

...Or maybe I'm just a late bloomer.

It's funny. I was going through the weekly folder of schoolwork that the kids brought home last week and I found a couple of writing assignments in B's folder. That got me thinking. A loves to write, and B has a good imagination even if she gripes about writing stories being hard. Yet here they are in school writing up little short stories based on a single sentence or situation as thier teacher assigns them.

A even has a book in progress she's writing.

I never had creativity like that when I was in school. Heck, I even have a hard time writing things up for this blog. But to create something out of almost nothing? At the drop of a hat and to a deadline, no less? That's the real challenge. I have to sit in awe at my daughters who are capable of pulling something together like that.

Just watching them make up little games that have rich backstories for all the characters tells me that something went right with them that didn't fire right with me. I didn't have an imagination as a kid - or at least it wasn't fostered properly. I just read books, took things on fact, and couldn't stand it when someone used the play oven in kindergarten as a place to store the pots and pans instead of in the play cupboards we had. My kids would probably have come up with some ingenous way to explain why the oven was a better place to store them and a whole story and cast of characters to go along with it.

*sigh* Is it ok as a parent to be jealous of that talent, that gift?



Speaking of being a parent... you probably want to know about Mother's Day, right? Well, it's not quite as frustrating as the Mother's Day I had two years ago, but not as good as last year's.

This year saw two squabbling little girls being pried apart by Mommy all day long. 'nuff said.