site stats WhizGidget Wonders...
Wednesday, May 03, 2006
Ow...

...Yesterday was baseball practice. And as I usually do, I grab a ball (thanks to DH for always bringing my mitt) and start warming up with some of the kids. Only yesterday I was feeling pretty adventurous and decided to offer my services as an extra body on the field.

That's right - as one of the assistant coaches batted to the kids so they could practice plays, I ran the bases. I was a little winded, but that wasn't the problem. I forgot to stretch out and warm up.

So here I am, a former sprinter who hasn't done such in about 15 years, trying to outrun a pack of ten 9 and 10 year olds whose only goal is to get the runner out. Ow.

My thighs hurt. The backs of my legs don't hurt as much anymore, but you know that lifting motion you make with your legs to cross them? Or to put on your jeans or underwear from a standing position? Or even just drawing your knee towards your chest for any reason at all? Can't do it without extreme soreness. Ow.

I stretched as soon as I came off the field, so I wasn't completely stupid yesterday. But I didn't take any ibuprofin, and I didn't sit with a heating pad on my legs, and thus I think I pay this price. It was good exercise and I don't regret it for a moment.

Not. At. All. It was a beautiful day, not too hot, not too breezy. And the kids got me out at second twice. While I'm a little bummed about the ball beating me to the bag, I'm also thrilled that the ball beat me to the bag. It's a Yay Team! sort of moment.

So last night I sat with my feet up and stitched on the TWRR with occasional breaks for getting up and stretching a little bit to make sure I don't gather any more pain up before going to bed, right? While I stitch, I watch television and last night's offering was 'House'. Great show if you've never checked it out - Hugh Laurie as a wonderful acidic cynical doctor, there are some classic lines from that show. Last night's was "Get out of my temporal lobe House." You had to be there. Ah, but I digress.

So I'm watching 'House', I'm stitching, and DH joins me with a pint of ice cream. And feeds it to me while I'm stitching. How much better can it get than that, right? It's gets better when it's Ben & Jerry's ice cream. Can't get better than that right? Well...

.... you can when it's B&J's Brownie Batter. Mmmm. Chocolate.