site stats WhizGidget Wonders...
Tuesday, April 25, 2006
The Facts of July 3...

...It's another one of those interesting memes about birth years. I've seen it *EVERYWHERE* so I decided to finally break down and do it.

Go to Wikipedia and look up your birth day (excluding the year). List three neat facts, two births and one death in your journal, including the year.

Events
324 - Battle of Adrianople Constantine I defeats Licinius, who flees to Byzantium
1884 - Dow Jones published its 1st stock average.
2005 - The national law legalizing same-sex marriage takes effect in Spain.

Births
1947 - Dave Barry, American writer
1962 - Tom Cruise, American actor

Death
1971 - Jim Morrison, American singer (The Doors) (b. 1943)



Yes, I've always known that I shared a birthday with Tom Cruise. I was surprised a few years back when I learned that I shared the same birthday with Dave Barry. Surprised and pleased. There are some pretty talented individuals whose birthday falls on July 3. Tom Stoppard (the playwright), Dorothy Kilgarren, and Franz Kafka were all born on July 3. They're all interesting writers that cover all aspects of life and philosophy, in an observationist manner. Gee, I wonder if I was born under the right observationist star...

There are others - Betty Buckley (best known in pop culture as the stepmom on Eight is Enough, but known in theatre circles for her work on Broadway in "Cats"), Laura Branigan, and Kevin Hearn (of Barenaked Ladies) were all born on July 3. So was Yeardley Smith (who does voice work on 'The Simpsons' as Lisa Simpson) and Jan Smithers (Bailey Quarters on 'WKRP in Cincinatti'). It's an interesting day when you cruise down the list in Wikipedia.

As for deaths, a couple of really interesting comedic talents passed on on July 3 - Jim Backus (Mr Howell on 'Gilligan's Island') and Joe DeRita (of Three Stooges fame - he was 'Curly Joe'). Brian Jones, of the Rolling Stones (hey, that rhymes!) also passed away, a victim of drowning. Thankfully, the list of who was born was way longer than that of who died.

Ironically enough, Jim Morrison died in Paris on July 3, supposedly just a couple of hours before I was born. No, I don't think I'm him reborn, but wouldn't that have been interesting, don't you think?

Have a good day!