site stats WhizGidget Wonders...
Monday, April 24, 2006
Selfish Charity

...That's a phrase DH uses for something like this, and I don't disagree...



For your reference as to what I'm about to talk about, you might want to read the following article: Woman Unknowingly Videotapes Sister's Fatal Crash'

I've seen a few versions of this story so far, and in every one the woman mentions that she wishes she had stopped to do something, after hearing that that was her sister in that car. Or that she didn't care about getting burned, so that she could try and save her. What the hell does it matter who was in the car in the first place? People were dying in that crash, and she just taped it with her phone - because it was the most incredible thing she'd ever seen in her life.

Gee, I've seen cars in flames (but not without tons of emergency personnel already around). I thought the birth of my daughters were among the most incredible things I've seen in my life, but everyone has different priorities.

Stupid. And incredibly selfish. After all, she didn't do anything but tape it, but after finding out it was her own sister she wishes she'd done something. She's going to have to live with the guilt of that for the rest of her life. And I couldn't be happier, because it didn't matter who was or wasn't in that car - SOMEONE'S relative was dying. She could have attempted to assess the situation and whether or not she could have done something without potentially bringing another victim (herself) to the scene. But she didn't.

Selfish charity is what DH terms it, and I have to agree. She would only have done something if she'd known who was in the car. It didn't matter if it was a sister, or someone else that was important to her, it's just that she would have done something if it was someone she knew.

Whatever happened to being a Good Samaritan? Whatever happened to the sanctity of human life? Did it really matter *who* was in the car: relative, enemy, or someone you didn't know? No. She sat like a dumbass, like the great majority of the population would, and videotaped the thing on her phone thinking that this was really cool. Hey, here's an idea - she could have used that phone to call the police and report this really awesome accident she's driving by! What a novel concept. Betcha that one never crossed her mind, considering there were probably a lot of other people around who could have done that for her.

Ugh. I'm glad I'm not related to this woman, nor living in South Beach. I wouldn't want to be the next cool video on her phone. You know, it's just like the trainwreck television I mentioned last week - everyone wants to see really cool stuff happen in front of them, yet they don't want to be involved. I'm sure this woman has probably seen lots of cool car crashes and explosions on television, and this may have been just another one of those - she saw it, it was cool (thus she had to have a video of it) and didn't want to be involved. Because, after all, you don't need to be involved when 1) there is always someone else who can step in and take care of it and 2) this is just like television, and she doesn't have to be involved.

I'm not trying to draw the conclusion that this can be based on a television lifestyle. This is based on the fact that someone didn't want to get involved unless they'd known who else was involved. They could just be another passenger in the trip of life instead of being a chapter in someone else's book.

Go ahead and flame me for this if you want, I'll still stand by the comment that she was stupid and selfish.