site stats WhizGidget Wonders...
Friday, April 01, 2005
Happy April Fools....

...Or at least Happy Friday. Thank goodness. I am so darn happy this week is over it's not even funny.

As many of you know, every year I have a joke/prank to play online but after the stress of the week, the issues that finally came to a head, and the idea that I really shouldn't alienate the calm stitching community of The Wagon, I decided that there will be no joke this year.

I did have a really awesome idea, courtesy of DH after last year's debacle. He said we should engineer it so that for at least a week prior to the day I start complaining about some sort of harassment that culminates in the announcement of a cease and desist letter for using the name 'WhizGidget' because they own it. I thought that was brilliant, until it hit me. The saavy and intelligence level of the normal user of the BBs that I am on is rather high. Someone would check the trademark search that's online and find that there is no such trademark.

Of course, now that I've mentioned it someone will run out and trademark the name and send me such letter because, after all, WhizGidget is *such* the money-making name, right? I don't think they'd be able to enforce it since we can find evidence that I've used that name exclusively for 5+ years online and there are many people that associate that word with me. Plus I publish under that name (right here where you're reading) so it's on pseudo-copyrighted materials.

Now, all of this is to say that I won't come up with *something* fun for the day, week, month but I don't have the energy today to deal with complaints and jibes that I was childish or being bad for playing a joke or pulling the wool over someone's eyes. No matter how good a chuckle anyone gets from it.

April Fools Day has always been my day to be the class clown, or rather, the class prankster - I miss *that* part of high school, when I was the prankster extraordinaire. Never got caught, and I maintained a 4.3 (thank you 3 AP classes and the rest Advanced Honors) and ran the school yearbook for two years. If the administration *did* figure it out, they never let on (they liked me).

So, that's the blog for today... Oh! The Friday Five! Can't forget that.For those who highlight this white text, look up and you'll see a new toolbar and a button to the *real* WhizGidget Wonders. Netdisaster.com is to thank for this redirect and the "destruction" of my blog today. Happy April Fools.


1) What's the best April Fool's Day prank that you've ever pulled on someone? Do you have any tricks up your sleeve for this April Fool's Day? Do you consider yourself a "jokester" who is always pulling pranks on others and clowning around?

Best April Fool's Day prank... there have been so many. Filling someone's office with balloons (thanks to Tien for the inspiration for that one), various things with jello, turning entire offices upside down and routing monitors and keyboards for cubes that share common corners so that one machine's results run and are controlled by someone else's mouse/keyboard. There has been Bailey's spilled on my stitching, me deciding to leave the boards (and the resultant Where's WhizGidget search including a milk carton pic thanks to Debi and my dog destroying Suz's round robin. By the way, Suz has my RR at the moment... But that joke didn't go over too well last year.

As I said above, I don't really have anything for this year, and I wouldn't say that I'm always pulling pranks. I'm very selective, and it has to be something good and relatively harmless.

2) Have you ever been the victim of an April Fool's Day prank? What was it, and when did it happen? Did you take it lightheartedly, or did you get really upset? Who tricked you?

Sure, a prankster is usually a very good target for a good and well executed prank. I've been the victim of many, and usually they're quite brilliant and well engineered. And it's been a few engineers pulling them on me.

3) What's on your calendar for April? Any special dates/events to celebrate and remember? Are you looking forward to anything in particular this April?

Calendar for April: Well, there's the usual baseball games that A is involved in now, and there's the wedding of a friend of DH's at the end of the month (which we're still trying to decide if we're going to since it's a bit of a drive), and that's about it. I usually don't have anything huge on the calendar and it's a very play it by ear sort of thing.

4) The saying goes that "April showers bring May flowers." What's your favorite type of spring flower (or flower in general)? Did you plant any flower bulbs for springtime? Do you look forward to doing some spring gardening?

I love California poppies and snapdragons. I've not done any planting this year other than some poppy seeds, but they're not sprouting, so I think I'm going to have to try again. And I'd love to do some spring gardening (I don't usually), but I think my allergies are going to keep me from doing much (which is why I don't usually do spring gardening) unless I stay on the Claritin.

Thanks the heavens for Claritin.

5) What's your weather usually like in April? Does it fully feel like spring, or does spring sometimes take a while to arrive where you live? What has your weather been like lately?

The weather here in silly.com valley is usually pretty mild in April. Sometimes there's a bit of rain, but the temperatures are usually really nice and it feels like spring later in the month. Lately, however, the weather has been a little.... wet. We've had lots of rain in the last 3 weeks and honestly I'm glad it's gone. Mostly because I was tired of hearing about rainouts on the baseball field, but it was starting to affect me emotionally, I think.



Well, that's it. Everyone have a wonderful day, hope you don't get tricked too badly, and have a really great weekend.