site stats WhizGidget Wonders...
Friday, March 18, 2005
It's Friday...

...and that means the Friday Forum!

1] Would you consider yourself a good singer? Why/why not? Were you ever in choirs, musical groups, musicals, voice competitions, etc. while growing up? How would you describe your singing voice?

Well, I think I’d be a better singer if my choirmaster in high school hadn’t tried to turn me into a soprano instead of the very well ranged alto/contralto that I am. Yes, I am a pretty decent singer when my throat is warmed up and I’m staying in key. I’ve had a hard time doing that since the repeated sore throats, losses of voice, and various other things that happened as a result of the strain on my chords in high school. I was in a choir (duh), and I was in a band for a while too (also high school, and we actually got paid too). I’ve got a reasonably decent voice, little soft so blending with other voices is good, or I need to be miked.

2] Do you sing in the shower? What about in your car? Around the house when you're by yourself? Do you sing along to the radio/CDs a lot? Do you prefer singing when you're alone, or do you belt out tunes at any time?

You bet I sing in the shower, and in the car, and around the house whether or not I’m by myself, and in the office when it’s quiet and no one else is there. I’ll sing alone to almost anything, and I’ve been known to belt out a line of something in the middle of a conversation (if it’s appropriate to the subject matter at the time) and that often makes people smile.

3] Who is your favorite singer at the moment, and why? Do you ever watch the show "American Idol"? Why/why not? If so, do you have a prediction for who will win this year's competition?

Favorite singer? I hate trying to choose that, but I think it has to be Bill Champlin (Sons of Champlin, and Chicago). He’s got a voice that’s like rich French vanilla ice cream with warm caramel spilling over it all. Incredibly great voice. For those who can’t figure out which one he is, he was the lead voice on Chicago’s “Look Away”. And you should just hear him do that live... acoustically. WOW.

I don’t watch American Idol, as I normally hate the so-called “reality television” genre (Amazing Race, excluded as I’m a recent convert). I tried watching American Idol the very first season, and I just couldn’t find a liking for it. So, no, I don’t have any predictions.

4] What are some songs that you remember fondly as a child? Are there any songs from your high school years that you particularly loved? What songs absolutely annoy you?

Songs from my childhood? None. Really. Oh, maybe a couple of the ditties from Sesame Street...

High school years? LOTS. I escaped into music when I wasn’t escaping into television or reading when I was a teenager. The high school years had some of the best 80s music (we’re talking 1985-1989) coming out, so I can’t possibly pick a favorite, as there was just so much to choose from. There are things that bring back certain memories though...

Songs that annoy me: Toni Basil’s Mickey. I run screaming when I hear that song. Hate hate hate hate hate it. Probably mostly from the stupid video, but I really hate that song.

5] Name a song that accurately reflects the way that you're feeling right now. If you could choose *one* song to describe your life up to this point, what song would you choose?

Um... Um... I can’t think of any.



Well, have a great weekend everyone! I'll be off to watch Little League baseball tomorrow morning, if it doesn't get rained out...