site stats WhizGidget Wonders...
Monday, September 13, 2004
Stitcher's Question of the Week

... Well, it's multiple questions on the same topic.



Do you stitch small projects one at a time that you can finish quickly, have numerous large projects going at once that you rotate,
or both? How does your current system work for you and have you thought about changing it?


I don't start small projects unless they're particularly compelling, and I tend to be a start a small thing and work it until it's done. I don't use them as a break between larger projects or as a distraction. As for the larger works, well, I just have too many of them and will work on them until I get absolutely sick of seeing them. I suppose that's an insane sort of rotation method in and of itself.

Sometimes this system works really well, and then there are those times when I don't want to work on *anything* and I'll have a big urge to start something new. That's when I'll spend time in my stash closet and I'll feel a little better about not starting something new. Or I'll take a night off from stitching and go read instead. These nights are rare, but they're there. You'd think that they would be more frequent - especially when I have a WIP list that includes 7 TW designs. And it's not like I couldn't start something new - I have at least 5 other projects all kitted up and ready to go.

I *have* thought about changing the madness method that I have - I've thought about going to a structured rotation, but I've not decided what that should be. Do I go hourly and start keeping my stopwatch at hand, or do I go weekly and feel bad when I can't stitch on something during a busy week, or do I go by the number of days that I've actually worked on it? Or do I choose something as a focus piece and work everything else around it (this has been the most appealing idea of all, because then I'd actually have a snowballs chance at finishing something).

I just don't know, but I'll figure it out. And I'm sure those reading will have suggestions for me as well. Right now though I'm focused on finishing a buggie for the Dimples RR I'm in, and then the last part of Mini-Mystery F will be out (which I may save for working on at a GTG since it's so portable), and I have to get working on Shimmering Mermaid if I want to finish it in time to enter it in the Silkweaver Stitcher's Showcase contest...

...All that and staying on the Wagon Challenge too.