site stats WhizGidget Wonders...
Thursday, September 09, 2004
Shake, Rattle and Roll

...which is exactly what I was doing at 3:32am.

*raises an eyebrow at the crowd*

Get your minds out of that gutter. It was an earthquake folks. The USGS says so. I woke up at about 3:30 this morning and stared at the ceiling, wondering why I was awake, when I knew I needed to be up in an hour and a half. As I turned over to try and go back to sleep, that's when I heard a strange rumble and knew instantly what it was. DH says it was a jolt - that's sort of accurate - he may have been jolted awake by my hand grabbing his upper arm just as the shakes and rattles started.

I'm still trying to figure out what all that glass clinking sounds were - I have a hard time believing that they were the glasses in my kitchen cabinets (which are right under where we sleep), but I suppose anything's possible when you consider that I live right on the edge of Saratoga, approximately less than 2 miles from the epicenter of this quake, which was centered only 1 mile underground on the Monta Vista faultline region.

It was loud. But then, I guess anything's loud when 3:32am is usually so dead silent. Earthquakes, in my experience, have always been loud. I've gone through my share of earthquakes - including the Loma Prieta back in 1989 - which I think took a couple of years off my life. Even though I was about 65 miles from the epicenter of that quake, we surely felt it and all the aftershocks (which woke up another faultline about 10 miles from where we were). I'll tell that story another day...

I was wondering when we're going to have another earthquake, and that right about now would be a really bad time to have one because of the heat. Then one hits in the wee small hours of the morning.

I wasn't going to put up a blog entry today, because of the late posting of yesterday's (thanks to Blogger and bugs), but it goes to show that I will almost always find something to post about. And yes, I'm just fine. Just a little... distracted. It was a baby earthquake. Well, baby earthquakes are actually the ones that you don't feel (the 1 and 2 pointers)... this was a toddler earthquake.

And the tantrum that this one had was almost enough to send me to Starbucks on the way to work this morning for a triple mocha latte. With a shot of espresso. For those who know me well, I hate coffee. But I used to drink that lethal combination the year after the Loma Prieta quake - I think there's a correlation there. Really, I'm fine. I've got my tea, my water bottle... no coffee in sight.

Have a good day folks... one, hopefully, that isn't filled with a natural "event" like this one.