site stats WhizGidget Wonders...
Monday, February 02, 2004
Football season is over... Controversy never dies.

**Warning: The following may not be for all readers since it will discuss the halftime show of the Superbowl and contain my opinions on the whole situation. If you're tired of hearing about it, you may not want to read any further.**

Yes, I hear some of you crying "Say it isn't so!", but it is so. It's over.

Patriots won. Pathers didn't win. But it was a close game... and a very good one. And that's about all I'm going to say about who I may or may not have been rooting for.

So... the commercials were pretty darn good. I've especially warmed up to the Pepsi commercial with the bear that gets carded, and then the announcer says Pepsi is great with leftovers. Initially, I went uck. Now, I have to laugh... it was bad... but funny.

...which brings me to the point of this. Halftime.

Now, I know CBS wants to be cutting edge. They want to be hip to the right demographic that's going to be the viewers who stick with the network, who watch the shows, who buy the products on the commercials. I'm all for capitalism and having corporations make money - because that's their purpose. I was a business major in college, can you tell?

But I think I'm in the age demographic they want - 32, married, homeowner, working, raising kids, and addicted to watching CSI. I have disposable income that they most likely want. I grew up listening to Janet Jackson in the 80s. But Nelly? PDiddy? Kid Rock? What the heck was the point of *them*? I don't listen to them. Never have. Not interested in them either.

I guess I should be happy that they didn't have Eminem doing the halftime show, but the songs that these folks did were just about as bad.

Shouldn't they have known better by having MTV produce a halftime show? Shouldn't that have made them nervous? Apparently it did, because the rehearsals where carefully monitored, but I guess those watching the rehearsals didn't listen to the lyrics of the songs that were being put out there. Shouldn't they have realized that some of us are going to have kids in the room listening? Young children who have been raised on football games? Granted, the kids aren't the ones buying the products, but if you offend the parents you'll lose customers. And nothing's worse than bad word of mouth either.

Now, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about here - The *end* of the halftime show when the stadium lighting was put to dark because of the antics of Justin Timberlake and Janet Jackson. Of course, we don't know that Janet was actually a part of this, other than she hasn't issued an apology for it... her representatives have issued a statement to MTV that may or may not be construed as an apology, but no one's really sure.

But then, this is a Jackson we're talking about, and no one's ever really sure about anything that family does or why in the first place.

Timberlake issued something akin to an apology regretting the 'wardrobe malfunction'... Still doesn't tell us if it was a mistake, an accident, or true regret at doing something stupid.

Some may argue that it was on purpose - because Janet did have *something* over her nipple... but couldn't that be because maybe she *likes* having something there at all times? Because maybe the costume would chafe otherwise (and anyone who has ever nursed a baby would know the pain of chafing). And Janet's reps did state to be prepared to be shocked by her performance. So maybe it was all an act. Then again, she was putting her hands all over Justin, and maybe that was the shocking part that they were referring to. It was a pretty steamy bump and grind they had going on. But what do I know? I've not been to one of her concerts (or one of his) and I'm a mom with two kids... I'm out of touch.

There are some that are saying that CBS knew all about it going into the darn thing... that the knowledge of this went straight to the top of the network. Maybe it did, but either way, the NFL is saying that they didn't have any knowledge of this and that they're never going to have MTV produce a halftime show ever again. Thank goodness.

This was CBS, which was once regarded as the retirement network because that was their strongest demographic viewership. So that makes this a little more surprising to those of us who remember not watching them because they didn't have anything that was entertaining on in the first place. But come on, they got Beyonce Knowles (who did a darn good job with the Star Spangled Banner) to put *on* some clothes...

...why couldn't they have convinced Janet to keep hers on?