site stats WhizGidget Wonders...
Friday, January 30, 2004
Is there such a thing...

...as too smart? Or too beautiful? Too rich?

We hear all sorts of inverse statements that claim that there isn't any such thing as too much chocolate, or too many diamonds. You can't be too thin or too rich... but can you?

What happens when money supplants brains? DH has a wonderful statement: too much money, not enough brains. Uses it regularly when you hear about rich people buying strange and useless things to try and make small tasks go faster.

There's no such thing as too smart. I once had someone tell me a year after high school that he didn't ask me out (and he was a good friend) because I was 'too smart for my own good'. I guess he and the other guys were intimidated by the fact that I was a National Honor Student for 3 semesters running, holding down the school yearbook as Editor in Chief, and managing 5 honors classes (2 of which were Advanced Placement) and keeping the GPA high. Heck, that almost scares me. But considering that no one ever really asked me out, therefore, I had no social life, it wasn't hard to maintain that high GPA.

I guess if people weren't allowed to be 'too smart' we wouldn't have had folks like Einstein and Hawking producing the theories that they have come out with. I think the world's a better place for it, but what do I know?

Too rich... yes, I think that I can agree with that one. You *can* have too much money. When you start calculating net worth in the multiple billions, then you might be too rich. Especially if you don't do anything constructive with the monies. I mean, what do you do with it all when you have a net worth like that? Build a new mansion for every day of the month?

Honestly, no one believes me that if 100 million dollars dropped in my lap tomorrow, I would still be about the same that I am. I'd still go to work every day. I'd still go to Curves. I'd still stitch. I'd still cook dinner at home. I might buy a new car to get me to work every day, but people buy new cars every day. And it's not like I'd run out and get an M-Class or something.... it would probably be a nice Subaru Forester Turbo. Currently I drive a Grand Cherokee, so it wouldn't be like I was making a major change either. But some folks just don't believe me. Money can change people - but some people can learn to live without money and make do with what they have at hand. And that's the way I grew up... so why should I let money change me?

You can have too many diamonds, according to my mom. She worries that someone is going to cut off my finger for my wedding band. She and I obviously differ on the subject of too many diamonds - I consider that to be dripping in them. High quality, so that people have to wear sunglasses to look at you in the sunlight. *That* is when there are too many diamonds. It's just excessive. That's all I have to say about that.

Many of these things that they say you can't be, you actually can... and most times, it's temporary.

You *can* be too thin - it's called anorexia. You can die from it.
You *can* be too beautiful - you'll alienate everyone around you if you're vain about it... besides, beauty fades eventually...
You *can* be too rich - if you don't do anything constructive with your monies. Besides, you could lose all your money due to bad decisions or people stealing from you.
Yes, you *can* have too much chocolate - eventually you'll get a stomachache, or a sugar headache, and it takes hours to come down from it all. And then, if you eat all the chocolate, it's gone. Unless you have scads of money to get more.

I don't think that you can be too smart... unless, like money, you don't do anything good with it... but smart is with you forever...

...and anyone who claims you're 'too smart' is probably too jealous.