site stats WhizGidget Wonders...
Wednesday, November 05, 2003
Listen to the music...

Last night I was procrastinating from finishing a model job that I've been working on since August... So I spent about two hours, wandering around the house and eventually landed at my computer, picking random Mp3s to listen to. Ones that had my daughter A leaving the room because mommy was being weird again, in her opinion.

As I picked out things, and started enjoying them, even playing air guitar a couple of times, I've come to the conclusion that I'm a displaced guy. All I could think of was rolling down the highway in a convertible, top down (despite the fact that it's about 40 degrees outside), music loud, singing at the top of my lungs... listening to guitar rock.

I don't know how else to explain it... Clapton and Satriani are my rock heroes... I suppose you could throw Eddie Van Halen and Stevie Ray Vaughn in there too.

So... here's a few of the things I was listening to last night, and my comments on them...

Eric Clapton "Rock 'n' Roll Heart" I get off on '57 Chevys, I get off on screaming guitar There's that Chevy thing again... what is it with guitar songs and Chevys... Night Ranger, 38 Special, Billy Joel... they've all used Chevys...

Eagles "Take it Easy" It's a girl, my Lord, in a flatbed Ford slowin' down to take a look at me... Hey, wait a second... the didn't use a Chevy... must have been too many syllables...

Bryan Adams "Summer of '69" I got my first real six-string, bought it at the five-and-dime; Played it til my fingers bled, it was the summer of '69 There's something about this song that says a Jeep Wrangler, a spring day in California, cruising southbound down Highway 1, and not caring where you're going, as long as it isn't off a cliff.

Warren Zevon "Werewolves of London" I saw a werewolf with a Chinese menu in his hand... How can you turn away from a song that starts with such an intriguing hook, and allows you to howl throughout the chorus? Which, incidentally, is both my daughters' favorite part of the song.

Joe Walsh "Life's Been Good" I have a mansion, forget the price; Ain't never been there, they tell me it's nice Ah, to have those problems myself...

Bachman-Turner Overdrive "Takin' Care of Business" Look at me I'm self-employed, I love to work at nothing all day I guess life's been good for this guy... ;)

Paul Davis "'65 Love Affair" '65 Love Affair, when rock 'n' roll was simple and clear Maybe that's it... maybe I just needed some good simple and clear rock 'n' roll last night...

... and just when I was going to wrap it up, A walks up to me singing the Rockapella arrangement of Orleans' "Dance with Me"... and back into the music vault we go. But this time, instead of running away, she followed me in.