site stats WhizGidget Wonders...
Thursday, January 03, 2008
An interesting year...
...2007 was definitely an interesting year. Oh yes, it's time for that year-end wrap up sort of thing.

But where do I start? So many things, and yet, not so much.

On the family front everyone is still in relative good health and speaking terms, except one SIL and my little subset of the family and that's only because she was offended by things I had to say that were my own opinion in a blog (this one) that (I believe) she thinks she was entitled to know about. Eh.

The kids are still doing well. A is about to turn 12 and managed straight A's for her first trimester of 6th grade. B needs to work a little harder to get to that point, but she still did very well for her first trimester of 5th grade. DH is still a wonderful DH, working away at his start up.

Speaking of jobs, that was a big change for me. After 8 1/2 years my previous place of employment decided that they didn't want me any more. Well, it was the doorknob that I was working for that decided I wasn't qualified for my job anymore because I don't have a degree that has a certain 3 letter title with it. But that's all right because I had a good severance, some good time off and I'm in another powder keg of a start up at the moment. And things look pretty darn good, so we'll see how this ride goes.

My in-laws celebrated 50 years of marriage and we all gathered for a family reunion in Oregon to celebrate it. DH and I are about 1/4 of the way to that milestone at this point and still moving right along. Happily.

Let's see... I taught myself to knit this year. I'm still a beginner (only knit and purl and casting on and binding off), but I hope to expand that experience a little more. I'm definitely an appreciator of yarn, as I've got a small stash now that needs winding and I've got a favorite crochet pattern that I use to make up scarves. You'd think living in Silly.com Valley that I wouldn't have the need for such. If you'd told me 5 years ago that I'd go through two winters with scarves around my neck because the high is going to be 38 for a few days I would have laughed at you. Thankfully I had one good scarf when the cold started...

Stitching wise I really didn't finish anything although I worked on a lot of things. Floral Bellpull got my attention, as did Fortunate Traveller. Desiderata got restarted at the beginning of last year, and I plan on working on it again this year. And the model for Dracolair continues to be worked on as I get the pieces. I think I really had only one true finish - the show piece from Just Nan at Hershey. I did finish quite a few scarves though...

I've slacked off going to the gym in the last couple of weeks, but before that I was faithfully going and working out. I drank a latte for the first time in years and felt the espresso buzz (which was the coffee of choice that was in the drink). Then I drank a larger one a couple of weeks later and realized from my disjointed thoughts that I was feeling much like Hammy the squirrel from Over The Hedge. No more coffee drinks for me.

I consider myself fortunate this year - no friends drifted away, even though some moved to new places and workplace changes separated a few more of us. No one in my life died, as far as I can remember and I made it through another year missing my doggie (Sasha). It doesn't hurt anymore and I don't cry anymore, but I really do miss her presence. She was a special dog and it's hard to believe that it's been two years since she left us.

Blogging was spotty last year and hopefully won't be as spotty this year, but we'll just have to wait and see. I don't have anything stockpiled like I used to, so I'm going to have to build up a reserve for those days when I don't have anything to say. Or maybe I'll just blog a stream of consciousness sort of thing on those days. Again, we'll just have to wait and see.

That's about it from here for the recap of the year. I hope last year was good to you, and that this year is marvelous.