site stats WhizGidget Wonders...
Monday, December 17, 2007
How Desperate...
...is desperate?

I had the television on while straightening up the house the other day before the stitchers came over for the annual holiday gathering, and I overheard a commercial for a new cartoon.

At first I thought it was a joke. After all, who names a cartoon character "Maguro", right? Tuna? Well... someone does.

American Greetings has teamed up with some other animator or something and they've created a Saturday morning cartoon (that airs on CBS) called "Sushi Pack". It's about a band of sushi that comes alive, lives in a sushi restaurant with humans, and tries to fight evil and educate children. Violence is used as a last resort. They learn about friendship and teamwork along the way.

I'm sorry, I don't want my bait on a plate to teach me about teamwork. I want to douse it with soy sauce and wasabi and eat it. Oh wait, Wasabi is the name of one of the characters. He's the smallest, the cutest, only squeals to communicate and can shoot fireballs.

Their enemies are named after sushi too, and those enemies are led by an evil sushi chef. They did use Fugu as a bad guy - which is fitting because if you get a chef who doesn't know what he's doing or you get a bad cut, it could be deadly.

Sake (salmon) doesn't seem to be anywhere, and Tako (Octopus) is a good guy. And they have a female reporter who wraps up the superhero storyline every episode. No, I've not watched it, but I've done my research.

How desperate have the studios become for something original that they've decided to make a series with pieces of animated sushi as superheros? Come on guys, Saturday morning cartoons used to be so much more... creative. Even Spongebob, which is starting to get a little tired, still comes up with more creative storylines than animated superhero sushi.

Well, I guess we'll have to live with it for the moment. Tako, Maguro, and Wasabi will go to fight crime with their buddies Ikura and Kani. I just hope DH doesn't get too put out...

...his favorite - Unagi - is a bad guy.



No folks, I'm *not* kidding. Here's the website link for the show.