site stats WhizGidget Wonders...
Thursday, January 24, 2008
Feeling A Little... Removed?
...Ok, this is going to sound strange, but I miss NutFlakes. I do. But for a purely selfish reason and I only miss it right now.

I miss going to Sundance. You know, the film festival? It's going on right now, and I won't be going on the company trip. I didn't even know that my last trip to Sundance was going to be my last trip as it was cruelly revoked from me last year under the guise of not having "any business related reason to be there" even though it's a company perk.

I miss the hustle of Sundance and seeing the good and bad films. Having a couple of days off with my husband somewhere out of state isn't too bad of a thing either. I miss JavaCow and the awesome hot chocolate that they make there. I don't miss the completely awful beds that they had at SnowRidge or the hotel we've stayed at the last couple of times we were there though.

I really miss the energy that was in the air at Sundance and hearing the buzz about the new films and new talent that's out there. This year it's a feeding frenzy because everything aligned correctly according to what I'm reading - there's great talent, great movies, and starved studios who don't have much in the late 2008-2009 pipeline for release because of the writers strike.

But fate seems to be working in a strange way because it's making sure that *something* of the annual trip makes its way to me: the cold. It's been cold here for a couple of weeks. My feet and hands in my office are perpetually cold and I don't think that they warm up until I get into a warm shower at night. And sometimes they warm up when I sleep. It's normal to hear the weatherpeople on the radio say that the highs are going to be in the low 40s now.

And this week has been particularly miserable because it's not only been cold but it's also been wet. I like wet. I love rain. Rain makes me happy. But rain usually cuts the cold and that's not happening this time. The rain is not making me happy.

And then it happened this morning. The one thing that I never thought that I would hear a San Francisco Bay Area weather person say: rain and *snow* showers expected throughout the day.

Excuse me? SNOW SHOWERS? I've seen snow on the mountaintops around here. I've watched snow fall and melt away instantly in a freak instance here. I remember way back when I was 4 or 5 and it snowed and covered the front lawn of the first house that I lived in, and it was sticking a little. Not enough snow to make a snowball or anything, but enough to go outside and pick it up in my little chubby hands and throw it up in the air gleefully before running back inside and saying that it's cold, it's cold before warming up my hands and running out to do it again.

That was over 30 years ago though. I know that there are climate changes afoot and one of the jokes in the office is to just tell customers that global warming is here and the world is going to end so just chill about the textbook not being delivered overnight (we don't say that to customers but we'd like to). But it's global WARMING people... not California-snow-showers-in-the-Bay-Area.

I know, I know... it's all part of the effects of what's going on. I know the Earth got knocked millionths of a millimeter or something off it's axis and more into round after the huge earthquake and tsunami a couple of years ago on the other side of the world. But snow showers in California? I expect those at this time of year in Utah when I'm at Sundance...

...I guess fate brought what it could of Sundance this year to me. Brrr.