site stats WhizGidget Wonders...
Tuesday, November 06, 2007
The Loss of Creativity...
...DH and I were talking the other night before dropping off to sleep and I realized something very important, but not until the next day.

We were talking about the impact of the television writers strike and what would happen if it went for any significant amount of time. Personally I think that it would be good for the stock of the company that I used to work for (and that I still hold quite a few shares of) if the strike went for a few months. On the other hand, the television industry as a whole would suffer incredibly and probably would not bounce back quickly. After all, the industry is still recovering from the strike of 20 years ago.

Lots of people walked away from television and never came back. But television did change back then - that's when reality shows were born (like America's Most Wanted and Cops) and news magazine shows (like Dateline and 20/20). But I digress.

While we were chatting DH realized that this might be his big chance to write a movie script. Or a television show. He's not bound by being a member of the Writer's Guild and there's no law against independent writers trying to break into the industry while the rest of the workforce are striking. He doesn't want to write for something that's already established, thus branding him a 'scab', because he's got his own ideas.

It wasn't until the next day that I realized how wonderful that was. That he was still dreaming about things like that and here I was with my feet firmly mired on the ground trying to make sense of numbers and creating a data empire at a brand new company.

Clearly I had forgotten how to dream. I had forgotten how to imagine and create. And it's been apparent here at this blog location too as I look back and see how hit and miss my postings have been in the last 4 months. Oh sure, I had other things on my mind and that's a worthy excuse, but I'd forgotten how to create.

I didn't even have the inspiration to try the annual blog novel writing competition this year and I am *always* prowling for a good idea then. This year it wasn't even a consideration. And you'd think that I would be more creative now as I walk into a new company where there is no real structure or development and I have to make it all up as I go along...

...giving birth to a different kind of creativity, but not the one I miss so much.