site stats WhizGidget Wonders...
Friday, November 09, 2007
Fridays...
...I never have enough to write about on Fridays. So I think Fridays are going to be dedicated to the Stitching Blogger's Question. That's right, the SBQ will start showing up in this space. I've been receiving the questions for a long time so I have quite a few stockpiled but I'll work with the current one every week.

Of course, now that I've started this it will almost guarantee the death of the process because I tend to join weekly memes right before they die. I'm hoping that this isn't the case.

So, onto this week's question:
When you have to frog out stitches, do you reuse that thread or do you start over with a new strand?

I hate frogging. What stitcher doesn't hate frogging? It's admitting that you made a mistake most of the time. Some of the time it's just realizing that a choice that the designer made or a choice that you made isn't the right thing for the piece. But it's usually the former item.

So it would depend on what kind of frogging that I'm doing. If I realize that it's something that's not right for the piece I can generally figure that out within a few stitched and can pluck them out and save the thread for later use. Usually, if I haven't done something stupid in the process that requires me to cut the thread somewhere.

When it's a counting mistake and I pull out the thread, again it depends. How far did I travel with the thread before I realized the mistake? How hard is it going to be on the floss and the fabric for me to pull out each stitch one by one? Floss is cheap, silk is not - but I generally don't take the cost into heavy consideration when I have to frog. Sometimes it depends on the condition of the floss when I pull it out. If it's kinked really badly and is something that I'm not going to use for awhile then I might toss it in the ort bag. If I'm going to use it right away then I might ignore the kinks and get right to it.

Another consideration is whether or not I've got enough thread to continue without breaking open another skein (or having to get to the store to get one). If it's the last of the thread and I just need it for a few stitches, then I'll probably use it again. Otherwise, into the ort bag it goes.

So there you have it. It's all going to depend on a few conditions. I suspect I'm not alone in that answer...

... have a great weekend everyone!