site stats WhizGidget Wonders...
Wednesday, May 23, 2007
More on Movies...
...and here's more of the meme that I started yesterday! I'll finish it tomorrow. I told you it was going to be long....

What was the last movie you saw?
In a movie theater? Sadly that would be 'Spider-Man 3'. Yes, I know it's a recent release but the more I think about it, the more disappointed I am with the result of that movie. While there was a lot of hype for it, thankfully it wasn't the sort of hype that said "you'll miss out if you don't see it now in the theaters". It was good, don't get me wrong, but it didn't live up to the rest of the franchise.

Of course, when you're following on the heels of Alfred Monlina (Doc Ock), who met and exceeded the performances set out by Willem Dafoe (Goblin) in the first movie, those are big shoes to fill, and for that I can give a little bit of allowance that this movie wasn't quite as good as the rest. Although I did rather like that battle at the end with Sandman, Venom, and the New Goblin.

It does bear mentioning that I already have my tickets to see 'Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End' for Saturday morning ($6 shows at AMC theaters before noon - woot!)

What was the last DVD you saw?
I see DVDs every day. Millions of them. All sitting on big racks in a large warehouse.

Oh wait, you mean the last one I actually sat down and watched. Last night the kids pulled out a Spongebob DVD that friends loaned us (first and second season) and they've been watching that, and I watched two cartoons from it but I don't count that as watching a DVD. I watched a section of one.

The last full DVD I watched? I think that honor would go to 'Attack of the Killer Tomatoes'. Seriously. I watched that movie for what had to be the 20th time (this time I took a nap during it though because I was tired). My daughters had to be introduced to all that is wonderful in the land of B-movies, and I figured that that was as good a place to start as any.

That and A has been begging to see it although I don't know where she learned of it because I've not seen it since before she was born. And for the record, they loved it, so the next one is going to be 'Little Shop of Horrors' (the updated Steve Martin version before the original version) and then 'Mars Attacks' (we love that movie).

Then we might move to something like the original 'The Fly' or 'The Blob'.

What was the first DVD you remember buying?
That's easy. I was in Fry's Electronics when we bought our DVD player and I decided that I needed something to try it out on and 'Conspiracy Theory' had just come out on DVD. And I'd seen it in the theater and really enjoyed it.

It's been awhile since I've seen it - I think I need to pull that one out again and give it a whirl in the player. And 'The Negotiator' - that was a very early purchase on DVD as well. I don't recall if it was part of the first things I ever bought, but I'd wager a yes on that. I think our copy of 'Mary Poppins' was purchased that day too.

What actor/actress would you like to look like?
This is a scary question because it could open all manners of cans of worms with friends and those that I live in the same house with. That and there's a list. With conditions.

I want to be Jennifer Garner - from the Alias years. She's got gorgeous hair, a rockin' bod, and the cutest smile ever. Classic girl next door looks. If I were a guy, I'd be so into her it would probably be borderline obsessive.

If I can't have her looks, then can I be Angelina Jolie, with only half the fullness in the lips? Because she's just got wicked good looks and totally rocks long formal dresses (think 'Mr. and Mrs. Smith').

I don't think that there's anyone else whose looks I'd want. Oh, maybe Evangeline Lilly - she's cute. Even if she has freckles.

Yes, DH, I know - go work out more at the gym and maybe I'll get there. But I won't get that cute dimple Garner has. *pout* And trust me, you don't want me spending a fortune on my hair.

What classic movie have you never seen?
Oh hell, that's a hard one. I've seen just about every classic movie that's on everyone's must see lists: all the classic Hitchcock, all the Bogart movies, 'Casablanca', 'Citizen Cane', 'Nosferatu'. Every genre, every era.

Ok. How about a modern classic? DH and I were talking the other night after I finished watching the end of 'Million Dollar Baby' (only because it happened to be on television and I liked that movie), and I mentioned that I really have enjoyed Clint Eastwood's growth as a director. DH then whistled the classic theme from 'A Fistful of Dollars'. That's when I said that I'd never seen Unforgiven and maybe I should give that a whirl. DH mentioned 'Pale Rider' and was surprised to hear that I'd never seen that either. It's surprising even to me considering that I've probably seen everything else that Eastwood has been in or involved with (other than 'Letters from Iwo Jima', simply because I've not had the chance yet to see it)

So there you go, two modern classics that I've never seen, although I will correct that eventually.

What’s your favorite movie genre?
Action. Guy action. Everything go boom and lots of car chase action. You can also say everything go boom and lots of starship chases ensue action with that. I don't care what it is as long as something blows up. LOVE those movies. LOVE. The. 'splosions.

After that comes the chick flick romantic comedy genre. Believe me, the rockin' action flicks just barely slid past the chick flick genre but only because stuff blows up.

I like character driven movies too - where the main character isn't just there to eat up screen time, but where the movie follows their motives, thinking, tells their story: '3-Iron', 'High Fidelity', 'Casablanca'. Character studies can be fascinating no matter if the character doesn't know they're being observed, if they're part of a larger schema or if they break the 4th wall. But if stuff blows up around them, all the better.