site stats WhizGidget Wonders...
Tuesday, May 22, 2007
Let's Talk Movies!
...Stole a meme from Erin and it's a great foundation for a big long blog about movies. It's a long one too. So long, that I think I'll break it up into two parts...

Name your all-time top five favorite movies.
I like this question. I like it better than most movie meme questions because they usually ask you what your most favorite movie ever is, and honestly, that's like asking me to pick a favorite child.

I love movies - I've talked about that before. I even work for a company where movies are the whole point. And that thrills me to no end (my direct boss is another story). But ah, movies...

Oh right, top 5 favorites:
Well, no list is complete for me without 'The Princess Bride' being somewhere on that list. Same goes for 'Star Wars: A New Hope'. But the other three? That gets a little trickier. Neil Simon's 'The Goodbye Girl' should be on that list. As should 'Say Anything'.

And what gets the nod for the 5th on the list? Oh, so many to choose from... but I think I have to give it to 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' (it barely edges out the Lord of the Rings and Pirates of the Caribbean movies). Keep in mind, these are my answers today at this point in time and these aren't listed in any particular order - this is the 5 across a straight line. Tomorrow it could change, next week it could be a totally different list.

Maybe one day I'll run down my top 20 - now *that* would be one interesting list.

What’s your favorite movie line?
Ooo. So many that I can't pick one, so I think you're going to get the top 5, in no particular order.

There's "I am disinclined to acquiesce to your request" from 'Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl'. That's such a classic line with terrific delivery that it has to be there.

Heck, half the script of 'The Princess Bride' could be on here. It's *that* good for me. So that's going to count as a favorite line - the entire script.

There's a line in 'Grosse Pointe Blank' that's up there - when Martin Q. Blank is talking to his therapist about attending his high school reunion: "They all have husbands and wives and children and houses and dogs, and, you know, they've all made themselves a part of something and they can talk about what they do. What am I gonna say? I killed the president of Paraguay with a fork. How've you been?" *snicker*

And another John Cusack quote: "I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that." - from 'Say Anything'

"Come see the violence inherent in the system! Help, help! I'm being repressed!" - Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Love that movie. Love those guys.


Who’s your favorite movie character?
Ooo. Here's the favorite child question. I think today I'll pick Inigo Montoya from 'The Princess Bride'.

What movie do you love that most people hate?
Oh, gee. I'm not sure. I know that I've rated 'Inspector Gadget' 5 stars, as opposed to most people who think it's around 2.3 stars. Hey, I thought it was cute. I also happen to love 'Lawnmower Man' and I think that's a movie that you either really need to be into or have read the short story that it is based on, or you're going to hate it.

What movie do you hate that most people love?
I have two for this list. The first one? 'There's Something About Mary. Yes, folks, I actually hate that movie. Sure, I laughed a couple of times - at the trailer for it. The rest of the movie? Meh. You can keep it.

The other movie that I hate was actually recommended by a good friend of DH's - and I trust this guy's opinion of movies. He said it was the funniest thing he'd ever seen. So I rented it, and it sat for awhile before I watched it. I picked it up one morning when I wasn't feeling very well and decided to watch it. Unfortunately I was too sick to get up and find the remote again and ended up watching it all the way through else it would have earned a "turned it off to save my brain cells" award. I think I may have also kept watching just in the hope that it would get better and yet, it didn't.

And it was a hit at Sundance - I usually *love* those movies that end up with audience acclaim, but there's always an exception to the rule.

The movie? 'Napoleon Dynamite'. Oh yes, I hate that movie. With a passion. Stupid stupid movie. I can't get that 90 minutes of my life back and I'm seriously miffed about that.

What’s your least favorite movie ever?
Least favorite movie ever? Didn't I just answer that with the 'Napoleon Dynamite' question? Oh, I guess I could pick something else to talk about. Or several somethings... 'Out of Sight', 'Snow Falling on Cedars', 'Tristan and Isolde' (I was bored after 20 minutes), 'Angela's Ashes' (yawn), 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind' (ye gods, what the hell was the *point* of that) and anything with Austin Powers in it. Oh hey, that one could have been in the previous category with the hated movie that people love. Ah well. Too late now.

What one movie have you seen that you would never ever watch again?
Oh that one is so unbelievable easy it's not even funny. That would be 'Pompatus of Love'. You've heard me talk about it before, I'm sure. It's an independent film with Jon Cryer (Duckie!) and it's about him and his friends going off somewhere to do something and an amusement park is involved or something like that.

I turned it off at the 4 minute and 18 second mark. That's how much I couldn't stand it. It even beats 'Clerks' which I turned off at the 20 minute mark. But I might actually make myself sit through 'Clerks' at some point in my life. 'Pompatus' will never ever get turned on in my house ever ever again.




Tomorrow I'll resume with some more questions otherwise this will be the blog that ate cyberspace. Hey, that might be a good B-movie script idea...