site stats WhizGidget Wonders...
Tuesday, December 06, 2005
Clothes That Fit...

...now, y'all know that I don't usually write about fictions or things that are extinct, but I think I'm going to now.

I went shopping a few weekends ago, what for isn't material to the story, other than to say it brought me into many stores in the men's and women's sections.

Are they sizing clothes to *meet* the obesity trends these days, or am I just getting way too small for my own good? I didn't think that I was getting any smaller, except to lose a few inches here and there, but still maintaining roughly the same size.

Clothes don't fit anymore, or I can't find ones that do, because I go into a store to try on a medium and come to find that it's really an extra large. I even noticed it at Curves too, when I picked up my shirt for my 300th workout. I was tempted to wear a small, because even the medium was a bit roomy. And here's a real brain twister - some of the things in the petite section actually fit me - even in terms of length, which they shouldn't, unless 5' 7" with a 32 inch inseam is now considered petite. That one's got me scratching my head.

This is really... rather insane. DH noticed it too - he'd grab a shirt in a size medium, and he'd look like he was too small for it. It's rather disconcerting to us, even though we actively work out, and haven't really changed our body sizes all that much (we weren't big to begin with) yet we're fitting into smaller clothes. Clothing sizes that we *shouldn't* be fitting in. And our sanity check is all the clothes that we have in our closets that still fit that are mediums and larges. I still have things that are sized medium that fit just fine. And things that are large that are nice and roomy.

The only conclusion I can come to is that clothes are starting to be sized... larger. But why? I did have my tongue in cheek before about manufacturers making clothes to fit the growing trend in obesity in the United States, but now I'm beginning to wonder if it's true. And if it's true, then it's a really sad state of affairs I have to say...

...because when does it make sense that you need to be bigger to fit your clothes better?