site stats WhizGidget Wonders...
Thursday, September 15, 2005
When Realities Collide...

...Sometimes you forget the things in life that cause you go to "aahhhhh, isn't that wonderful". This morning's drive was one of those things.

I went out the door, forgetting my lunch yet again until I was about a mile from the house, when I ran across the stupid jogging women who take up the entire sidewalk and spill out into the street. The other day I almost ran over their dog because they decided they were going to run and run and run across the street against the light - they were coming around a blind corner and stopped just in time to avoid me hitting them, and I hit my brakes just in time. I got a nasty look for my troubles. Someone should tell them that they should run *facing traffic* instead of with their backs to traffic.

But I digress.

Anyway, I ran across them again this morning, and they have a new trick. They like to line up side by side, and they *don't* move when traffic approaches from behind anymore. I really need to figure out who to call about this. The street that they're on is split in two between two cities dowm the yellow line, but where I run into them, it might well be a different two cities. So which municipality to call is the real crux of the issue.

Again, I digress, and I apologize because these women really bug me. So I move partially into the next lane to avoid hitting them and am bitching about this to myself when I come over a slight rise to head for the main road I take to work when I see....

... a deer. A lone, beautiful, *big* deer. Crossing the road (no jokes, please) right in front of me. I slowed down considerably and the deer just kept on going at her usual pace (I assume a she since it didn't have a rack or the beginning of one as far as I could tell, and it seemed more delicate than a buck would). She didn't seem frightened or startled - probably used to the traffic - and crossed the road. And while I sat there for the 20 seconds that it took for her to clear my path I realized what a beautiful area of the world I live in.

I'm really near a very large city - a bunch of them actually, but the corner of the area that I live in still has a lot of woods and a lot of creatures. This isn't the first time that I've seen a deer on the way to work. Last year I saw a 3 point buck, a mature deer, and a little one, standing in a grove of trees just off the side of the road. They didn't move as I drove past them. But today's deer wasn't the only thing - I also saw a racoon trying to work at the lid of someone's garbage can on a property right before the railroad tracks that I cross daily.

It's not like I *don't* realize that there are creatures around the house. The squirrels regularly steal the walnuts off my tree before I ever get a chance to grab them. And every once in a while I'll smell a skunk, or run across a roadkill opossum (no pun intended, and I'm not responsible for the flattening of *any* of the creatures around me).

If the deer wasn't enough this morning, the 'coon was. I have to remember the little things that make me go "ahhhhh" and all the rampant nature around me. It's something everyone should watch out for despite, as I do, living in a well populated civilized area of the county, with a grocery store just over there, and a park across the street, and a major freeway about a mile away...

...and magical woods just down the road.