site stats WhizGidget Wonders...
Thursday, November 18, 2004
I really hate to say it...

...but it's 38 days until Christmas. Have you started your shopping?

I have. I didn't mean to, but I did. Normally I wait until after Thanksgiving has passed, but this year I just couldn't wait.

The kids' school is having their annual book fair, and I had to buy some things that I knew they'd absolutely love. I may give A one of her books this weekend because she's almost done with a project that's due tomorrow, but only if she doesn't complain about working on it tonight. That's a HUGE maybe too.

And then there's the DVDs that I bought off Amazon weeks ago - they're not going to ship until December, so I might hide one of them away for the kids. They seem to have forgotten about the copy of Shrek 2 that I bought a couple of weeks ago - I'm going to hide that later on.

I've started shopping for my Secret Stitcher victim, but I won't say what I've bought in case she reads me. I don't think that she does, but just in case...

And to top all of that off, I've been working on B's Christmas stocking since the 5th of October. I should feel happy that I got such a jump on Christmas, but I don't. I still feel like I've not started AT ALL. Know why?

Because I know I'll still have last minute things to purchase and wrap. Because I'll still have stocking stuffers to acquire at the last minute. Because I'll still need to find something for DH eventually for Christmas - he's the worst to shop for too. And yes, he reads me too, and he always has a list every year, but I really can't justify buying a Ferrari or an H2 - especially with gas prices the way they are. Buying him DVDs doesn't cut it either - he's not much of a movie watcher. A coupon book won't work either - we gave him one for Father's Day and he's not used any of them yet.

I suppose I'm better than most. I know of one individual that let Christmas get away from him one year and he issued IOU's instead of presents. I don't know if he ever made good on those; maybe I'll have to ask one of these days. I've thought about IOU's myself - including to the person who originated the idea, but I know I'd just hear about it for years to come, and I really don't need one more thing lumped on me when I'm already stressing about the holidays.

I think if I actually finish everything I need to finish with time to spare, then something will be seriously wrong with the season. Or with me. It would be abnormal. After all, what's more fun than sorting through broken packages and the slim pickings at Toys R Us or Target the day or two before Christmas? And going to your favorite hobby shop with a coupon in hand to discover that all that's left is the bushy stuff for a train set landscape and some turquoise finger paint. And what about all the adrenaline that you expend wishing for UPS to ship faster? Don't forget, you have to fuel all that with Christmas cookies and hot chocolate...

...or triple mocha lattes with a shot of espresso.