site stats WhizGidget Wonders...
Sunday, August 01, 2004
To B, on her 7th birthday
Hello, my little one.

Today is your 7th birthday. You've been so excited about this day for so very long, as if something about leaving 6 behind was critical to your survival. Of course, you've acted like that about every birthday. And every new school year... and Christmas, Halloween, Easter..

You've just got a wealth of excitement, exuberance and energy that I admire and envy.

I've noticed lately that you've been living up to your nicknames of 'Boo' and 'BooBoo' - you come home with so many scrapes and cuts lately. Some of them coming from your own clumsiness, some from bad luck. Either way, it looks like you got my propensity for injuries. *tsk* I was hoping you and A would escape that. But no matter the injury, you get up and keep trying. You told me that the other day when we were talking about bicycling and how I said I don't like it anymore because I keep having accidents - and you told me that I needed to practice... that I needed to keep trying.

Such the optimistic positive attitude and faith you have in your mommy!

I remember one night in late July when I was eating dinner - garlic chicken, it was. A couple of hours later, you kicked me hard, and I started having this mild backache... 24 hours later, there you were. Fighting and fiesty from the get-go - and hungry to boot. Once fed, you were just a cuddly little thing, curling into me and yourself and sleepy. You're still a cuddly lil thing, who has no problems with climbing onto my lap for hugs or snuggling up while we watch cartoons together.

You've gotten so big in so very short a time. I blinked - that's how short it was. At least, that's how short it feels. I'm afraid to blink again, because you'll either be driving or leaving home for college.

You give some of the best hugs too. Unexpected, but needed, hugs. I've gotten lots of those from you lately. You give me those hugs that A is good at giving too - the ones where you run from the playground and try to knock me over... And I love holding your hand - they're always so warm, and it's like getting a hug for my hands when you reach up for mine.

Every time I've never felt well, or fell asleep somewhere, you've given me a blanket and a pillow and your prized Snuzzlephant that you've had since you were 5 months old. Sometimes it was A covering me up, but always it was you giving me your favorite toy to make me feel better. I would wake up with this little green ephelant snuggled under my chin, and I would just want to cry. Snuzz has gone on every vacation with us, and nights you've spent being babysat by Grandma, you sleep with her tucked in with you every night, and worry when she's being washed and you trust me with her while I'm sick - that means a great amount to me.

One of the things I enjoy the most is that little smile of yours with those blue eyes sparking - that little bit of B-shine that makes my day complete. And if you're sad or angry, then it's gloomy around here. B-shine makes people happy. So I tickle you until you can't keep that upset look on your face, and oh! The B-shine is coming out!

You're a very giving child... and growing up fast into a very giving person. I hope that stays with you for the rest of your life...

...so smile for me my lovely little blue-eyed B-Boo, because I can always use some more B-shine.