site stats WhizGidget Wonders...
Wednesday, July 21, 2004
Peace, Love and Understanding...

... how's that for an American President? Yes, folks, I'm breaking the no politics in my blog vow today, so if you want to go away now, I completely understand. If you want to sit down and watch the show, be prepared - these are my opinions and viewpoints only. You're welcome to comment, but be civil (even if you're seething).

Yesterday I saw a story that stated that the current President of the United States wants to be the "Peace President". After my two seconds of shock and disbelief, I couldn't start laughing fast enough. Actually, that's not true - I started a new blog entry and started making notes, because I knew this wouldn't hit any of the boards that I lurk at and I am compelled to comment.

I have two things to say:
1 - too little, probably too late.
2 - break out the sunshine, moonbeams, and love beads. We're havin' extra servings of Peace, Love and Understanding for everyone!

Now, don't get me wrong - I think having a state of peace for a full Presidental term would be a good thing. No wars, no "police actions", no... oh wait, we had that under the last President. Anyway, I'd love to have a state of peace again, but can we really expect that from *this* President at *this* time?

I suspect he's trying to win back the votes of the liberals, war-haters and those who no longer support the actions in Iraq. My question is this: does his campaign really think the American people are *that* stupid? That gullible? That desperate for peace?

Ok, let's get this back on track - Bush wants to be the "Peace President". After starting two wars (one of which we're still trying to figure out *why* he needed to start in the first place), he's promising us that we'll have four years of peace. Does that mean that he's going to be recalling troops from Iraq? From Afganistan? Well, no, not likely - after all, the US has to remain strong and show no weakness else the world will "drift towards tragedy". I guess calling up more troops, and recalling thousands more is the way the US will show no weakness.

Bush states (here's the Yahoo article on this) that the wars in Iraq and Afganistan have already made America a safer place and that re-election will allow him to finish the job. That's political stumping at it's best... or is that worst? I don't think he can speak for the militants in Iraq and Afganistan who hate the US for coming into thier country and making them active war zones, and filled with opportunity for militants to strike back at the US Military. There are some who are most likely plotting better targets in the US too. The wars haven't stopped terrorism - they've temporarily stalled it while they wait for us to lower our guard.

Direct quote: "Four more years and America will be safer and the world will be more peaceful" Bush says. Ok. Will that be because the whole world will have blown itself up?

Now, don't get me wrong - note that this isn't an entry showing the Democrat/Independant/Green Party side of things. This is just me ranting about the absurdity of a President who has brought us into two wars, one of which probably shouldn't have been started in the first place and one which was a retalitory effort, who wants to be the "peace president". I just can't believe in his statements. Put plainly, they're election lies, and he wants the population of the country to believe him.

DH brought up an interesting point last night - what political demographic poll prompted this new position to be introduced? At this stage of the game, with an election coming up, sadly I have to agree. This President ran in the last election with the idea that he would be a "uniter, not divider, of nations" - I think the United States is pretty split on whether or not they want to elect him again. The United States was pretty split on whether or not they wanted to elect him in the first place, considering that he lost the popular vote.

Why should we believe him? Do the demographics show that we're that gullible when we have our egos stroked? Do they really think that the population of this country *will* believe him, after all the Presidents that have lied before him? Oh yes, lies - we don't expect our President to outright lie to us, but so many of them have. Whether it be an outright lie, or a deception that gets caught amid scandal, or simply something covert that's denied and hidden, only to come out years and years later - they're lies. But that's part of politics in America. I'm sure the President would like to have a peaceful America, with no active war and no threats of terrorism, but I really don't think that he can deliver it. It would just be history repeating itself - what Presidents have promised peace and not managed to deliver it?

Now, I'm done. I don't know who I'm voting for in November, but if my track record if any indication, I'll probably decide on election day. It's one of those lesser of two evils, maybe I should flip a coin instead...

..until then, I'm going to sit here with my love beads on and think happy thoughts about peace, love, and understanding.

My thanks to Suz for writing me a reality check about flow while I was composing this