site stats WhizGidget Wonders...
Tuesday, July 13, 2004
Ch-Ch-Changes...
Someone on the TWBB asked a while back whether or not we like change. I found myself writing a very long answer that I thought was better suited to this blog, and gave a short answer there instead. Then I forgot that I drafted this until yesterday.



"You have to change to remain the same."

I heard that quote in a television show once, and I pondered and pondered it. I found, essentially, that it's true.

In an ever-changing society, you have to adapt. You have to be willing to adapt. If not, then you're basically not going to be considered the same person that you are, but the person that you *were*.

Example: someone likes the way things were when they lived in the 1940s. They don't change or vary from those ways. When the 60s come, they've not changed one bit, but are viewed as stuck in a time warp. Someone else from the same era adapts to the changes in society - still retains thier core values, but adapts to the changing climate - they're more likely to be viewed as someone who hasn't changed a bit (mostly because they've gone with the flow, and that's the way they've always been).

Radical Change and Adaptation

There's some radical change in the current BB world, and some folks are having to adapt considerably. Obviously I stepped down from my post at one board, and that's had a few people spinning. And others celebrating, I'm sure. And still others relieved. Those last two sentences are my own summation, save a couple of hate mails.

I'm sorry to see the changes on the TWBB, but I completely understand the necessity of them. I think. What I'm not sure of is how long they were in coming, as no discussion of this crossed my path while I was still a moderator there - but I was never privy to all the workings of the board anyway (which is fine, since I wasn't an admin), so it's a moot point.

All I can say is that I'll miss the board, and I'll be around - most likely at the BB's listed in the sidebar. And I'll miss the friends that I'd thought I'd made, but who still seem to be absent and not acting very much like themselves at all.

*sigh*

Changes in friendships... that's been the hardest part. Some of the folks that I thought I knew and trusted have seemed to slip away. Other folks have been just plain strange.

Ah well, I guess I'm back to feeling like I did in high school - people, for some reason that remains (and probably will remain forever and on) unknown to me, just want me to go away. So, perhaps it's just time to go away. I'll still be here, and those who want to find me on IM/email will if they're determined enough or care.

I know I said a bad thing... what I don't understand is what else is out there that's going around, if anything. Because the reaction to all of this is WAY more severe than one would expect from someone who said what I said. And this is a reaction that's more akin to someone who's killing puppies and kicking babies - which are two things that I think are horrible and I don't engage in them.

*sigh*

I just don't know anymore...