site stats WhizGidget Wonders...
Tuesday, July 06, 2004
The Stitcher's Five.... is no more...

...but y'all probably know that by now, since I'm late to the party. It's now the Question of the Week.

And this week's question:

Which project (finished or in progress) are you most proud of? Explain why.

Oh boy... there are so many, so how can I choose?

I've done two models for Dracolair Creations - how can I choose one over the other, especially after I hear 'ooohs' and 'aaahs' over them when people see them for the first time? Especially after hearing a couple of people at CATS staring and staring and commenting on what beautiful stitching it was.

Then there's Teresa Wentzler's "The Castle" that I stitched for DH for a present (at his request) a couple of years ago. I changed those colors to reds and golds, threw some rayon in there along the part of the dragon that lies against the castle, stitched the extended wing that someone charted a long while back... the framing alone is gorgeous. People 'oooh' and 'aaah' over that one too, when it makes it off DH's office wall to be shown off.

Ah, but then there's TW's "Dragon Ride". You know, I think I may have to choose that one as the one for which I am most proud. I worked it up before I'd heard the foolishness that Teresa's designs are supposedly difficult with all the blended threads and quarter stitches. I spent a frustrating half hour snipping out stitches that I had spent about 25 hours putting in because I'd miscounted. I drove a framing manager nuts at a local store because I wouldn't cow to what they wanted to do to my piece and chose something better than they did in less then 5 minutes. THEN they further got rattled when I insisted on them lacing the piece instead of pinning and my explanation of why I wanted it the way I wanted it. THEN they were further exasperated when I came back for it a couple of days later and found that it was crooked and demanded they take it apart so I could see the lacing job they'd done (I have since learned to lace and frame my own pieces, but they weren't the reason.... it took a couple more years and a dreadful mistake at a different framing place to teach me that lesson).

They finally straightened it out and I took the piece home, wondering the whole while where DH should put the nail in the wall so I could see it every day.

When I came home and proudly showed it off, I asked where should we hang it. DH looked around, and then took a prize of our animation collection off the wall - an original concept drawing from the movie 'Bambi' (yes, that 'Bambi') and hung 'Dragon Ride' in it's place. Needless to say, but I will anyway, I was stunned. Fast forward 4 years, and 'Dragon Ride' is still hanging there, but the 'Bambi' piece hasn't made it back up on the wall...

... so I'd have to say, it's all DH's fault and responsibility for the piece that I am most proud of.