site stats WhizGidget Wonders...
Wednesday, March 03, 2004
A day late, a dollar short...

... a birthday wish of great import

It seems I missed
a great big day...
... so here's a hip
and a hooray!

For Theodore Geisel,
also known as Suess,
deserves a cup of
chocolate mousse!

He would have been 100
If he were still around,
and I bet that he would still be
the absolute talk of the town.

So here's to you Suess,
Or Dr. Geisel as you were also known,
here's a birthday hat
and a birthday throne.

I miss you and your rollicking rhymes
Thse ones that gave me the greatest of times,
Reading to my kids and making them laugh
looking at whoozles and spotted giraffe.

An ephelant named Horton taught us all
A person's a person no matter how small,
A cat in the hat was very, very bad
But cleaned it all up when it made the kids mad.
The Fox was in Socks, and we Hopped on our Pop
Until the poor daddy begged us to Stop!

And we marveled together at the places to go
And the wonderment of things that we didn't know,
To be nice to each other, no matter what
and be good to ourselves, yet there is just one but...

...we miss you, Seuss or Geisel - your choice.
since time chose to silence your wonderful voice.


A happy 100th birthday to you Mr. Geisel. And I apologize for the liberties taken with the rhyming, but I felt it necessary. I grew up, like a generation before me, reading Dr. Suess. I marveled in the adventures of an elephant named Horton, either sitting on an egg, or in the cool of the pool in the hot afternoon in the jungle of Nool. I watched the 'Cat in the Hat' bring Thing 1 and Thing 2 by to play, and then come back and clean the pink snow up. I laughed with 'Fox in Socks', and 'Oh Say Can You Say' - two books that I read to the kids myself now as fast as I can and try to sprain my tongue.

I still love the lessons taught in 'Green Eggs and Ham' (you should try everything once, because you might find you like it)... and 'Oh The Places You'll Go!' (about the wonderous things that await the rest of your life)

I humbly thank Mr. Geisel for having that friend who would publish his first book after 43 publishers rejected it. I thank Mr. Geisel for being able to take 250 words and write 'The Cat in the Hat', and taking up someone's bet that he couldn't write a story using only 50 words - and thus, 'Green Eggs and Ham' was born.

Ok, I know. I've gone on long enough, and I have to get on my way....

...because my mountain is waiting, and today is my day.