site stats WhizGidget Wonders...
Tuesday, February 17, 2004
A tale of two techies....

...I love technology. I really do. And sometimes interesting and funny and cute things happen when you introduce someone new to technology that's been around for awhile. Then again, this is more like a tale of two parents, than two techies, but I'll let you judge for yourself.

My mother-in-law (MIL) is a gadget lady. She's gotten new computers every other year for as long as I've known her. A new monitor here, a hot new printer there. A website that's pretty nice... of course, she's a desktop publisher, so the new toys are a requirement for the business. And she's pretty good at what she does. But through and through, she's a techie.

As soon as I got my first job she demanded my email address - I pretty much have learned to turn them all over as soon as I get them because it's one of the better ways to get ahold of me reliably without being interrupted - since there are days that I get lots of phone calls, and others that I don't, I prefer email - my conversations aren't interrupted that way.

And I *hate* interruptions. I'll cover that another day though. But my MIL is a great lady... even though she's got more gadgets than most of the engineers that I know. Heck, she was showing me her new pen the other day - it looked like a really nice Mont Blanc knockoff... but it had a portable memory device in it. And yes, she knows that she needs to remember to get that pen back should she loan it to anyone.

My Dad is a slightly different matter. He, too, has had a new computer every other year. Bigger, better, faster. He's made me jealous with a few of the computers that he's gotten.

A few years ago when he got a really new fast one, DH and I came up with the perfect Christmas present... we would give him one year of internet service. He thought it was a great idea too, until he told Mom. Mom put the big kabonch on it. This is a woman who was afraid of dusting the computer because she might ruin something now explaining that someone was going to hack into the computer and steal information from them. I was in shock... I guess she really had been listening all those times I talked to her about my hacking adventures (all low key, and with full knowledge of the company I was hacking into... fraud and security were part of my job once upon a time).

Well... Dad was internet-less for years. Until just about 3 or 4 months ago. He called me asking for a recommendation and we talked for a bit about various services, and then we didn't talk about it again. I figured Mom had probably squashed the idea again. Apparently, I was wrong.

Yesterday was Dad's birthday, so we called him to chat and find out how he's doing. When DH was talking to him, the discussion inevitably turned to computers... and DH asked if he had an email address. I was playing with my stash in the closet at the time reorganizing a couple of things, when I hear DH say "You do!" and rush past the closet door headed for the white board in the kitchen. I just about dropped the silks I was holding and ran out just in time to see DH write it up on the white board.

I started laughing... it was something that had followed him for years in his career, but DH didn't get it until I explained it after he handed me the phone to say goodbye to Dad. I promised my Dad that I would send an email this morning to test it out.

And so I did. A simple subject ("Hi Dad") and a single line of text (just testing out the email address to make sure it's you) and my name. About an hour later, I get an email back saying that he got my email, thanks. And so I promptly added him into my address book.

Two minutes later, my cell phone rings from Dad's cell phone number. Did I mention that he's got a smaller and smarter cell phone than I do? Anyway, I smile and answer the phone with a cheery 'Good Morning' and get greeted with a 'Good Afternoon'. That's Dad...he's probably been up since 5, just like me.

Anyway, the purpose of the call? To make sure that I got the email! He's so cute sometimes. I reassured him that I got the email, and he added me into his address book - I'm the only one there for the moment. Sounds like I beat DH to sending an email to Dad. Anyway, Dad asked immediately if I have a home email address. Well, of course I do Dad... I just have to figure out which one to give to you.

'Which one?' Yup, I have about 7 littered about the place, I just need to figure out which one to give you that I actually check more than once a month - my work one is the one I check most frequently. I think that stunned him slightly, until he laughed and commented that he's got a lot of catching up to do.

...welcome to the wonderful world of the 'net, Dad.