site stats WhizGidget Wonders...
Monday, October 16, 2006
I Lost a Friend...

...not so long ago, and I miss her terribly. She was the most loyal and trustworthy individual that I knew, and I loved her as much as I loved A & B, who loved her too.

There have been days in the past few months where her lack of presence has been noticed considerably. I think that I want to talk to her, but she's not there. I can't run something past her for a reaction, because she just isn't available. It's funny how life works sometimes...

*poof*

She was gone just like that. She was recently brought to the front of my mind and I felt that empty little hole that you have when someone who was really important to you isn't there anymore. When a dear friend is gone and there's no one else to fill the void.

At night is when I miss her the most because her warm and comforting presence isn't there. Oh, she wasn't perfect though because she complained, and sometimes she made sure I knew those complaints were there and were more important than anything else I had to say. You couldn't get between her and her food though, although she loved to play as well.

And she loved my kids, and loved my DH. And we loved her. And we still do, even though she's not around anymore. I don't think anyone or anything could ever replace her either, because she was truly one of a kind. And I'm a better person for having known her, even for such a short time.

Sasha, it's been a year today since DH came into the room and told me you were gone, and I still miss you terribly wonderful puppy of mine. You were truly my best friend, and a great sounding board. You'd walk away from me when I said something you didn't like (she was great for bouncing blog topics off of), or you'd do that funny woo-woo-woo sound at me when you had something to say. I tear up remembering that sound, because I can still hear it in my head. And I get frustrated that I can't remember the tuneless off-key whistle that I used to do when I opened the garage door to feed you dinner.

I thought I'd be over it by now, but the tears in my eyes tell me that I'm not. I thought I'd probably have a new doggy by now, but that's not the case either partly because the kids need to show a little more responsibility, and partly because I can't bring myself to look at puppies because when I think about them, I just remember you and your floppy ears and big paws from when you were little.

I know some folks probably think that this is silly, writing about a dog that's been gone a year and that I should have gotten over it by now, but too bad for you. I won't simply get over the loss of my first baby - even if she was canine instead of human. Sasha, I hope you're enjoying it up there at the Rainbow Bridge, because if I have anything to say about it, it's going to be a really long time before any of your family meet you there....

...but that doesn't mean we don't miss you every single day.