site stats WhizGidget Wonders...
Wednesday, January 11, 2006
10 Years...

...A lot has changed in the last 10 years - the way we communicate with each other around the country, the way an internet community has almost replaced the friendly neighborhood, the way we look at ourselves.

Most notably, in my life, a lot has changed. I've changed jobs twice since then, I broke my streak of working at companies for only 2 1/2 years before jumping ship, and my oldest daughter, A, has been growing up.

That's right folks, today is A's 10th birthday. In fact, she was born at the exact same time as the posting of this blog entry.



A, my dear child...

You are 10 years old today. That's a big step - into the double digits and that much closer to being a teenager. I know you've said that you want to be nine forever, but time marches on and there's nothing we can do about it. Even so, I want you to stay small forever.

Alas, that will not happen. But I'm ok with that, because of the interesting and wonderful person that you are becoming. You've gotten only a touch taller, but a lot smarter since this time last year. And you're still a voracious reader, finally dropping into the Black Stallion series as it seems almost every little girl who loves horses does, and still keeping in the fantasy vein.

Your musical tastes certainly aren't in a rut - you're stealing my U2 (How to Dismantle An Atomic Bomb) with alarming regularity and I've seen you eyeing up my James Blunt - I don't blame you for that one, as he's fabulous! You still have a thing for the Beatles, and I've not educated you to the solo music those men have produced during thier lives. Maybe I should formally introduce you to the wonder that is Mark Knopfler and Dire Straits. I think you'd like him.

It's hard to put somethings into words today without sounding like a broken record from previous years. You have become an extraordinary kid, even when you're wrestling with your sister and driving me up a wall. You do things that still astound me. It's been a year filled with injury for me, and you've been right there trying to cheer me up with a game, or making sure I had something to snack on while I was on the floor.

You proved yourself this past year to be a very competant baseball player - something I would never have thought of - and have expressed an interest in track. I still shake my head at that one - you're following my haunts and habits alarmingly. Choir, top of your class, everyone wants to be friends with you, and you're friendly with everyone, and still manage to have close friends as well.

An amazing person you are. And yes, I'm the biased mom, but you are one of those rare individuals that people are blessed to have known in thier lives. Keep it up, kiddo...

...and a most Happy Birthday to You.

-Mom-