site stats WhizGidget Wonders...
Friday, December 10, 2004
It's Friday...

...thank goodness, and I never thought that today would ever get here. I've had a week that's run me through the wringer, and I never want another week like it. Ever.

Even if most of the angst I was experiencing was of my own doing, I still don't want another week like it (but I'll probably have another one just like it when I got through reviews again).

And so, with that, let's move onto the Friday Forum. This forum topic is amazingly appropriate - it's cold outside. California. And it's dangerously foggy - the area around my office building which is never foggy this early in the morning is already half hidden - it's going to be dangerous out there this morning. And it's going to get colder again...



1) What is your area's winter weather usually like? What range of temperatures are typical? Do you get lots of snow and/or ice? Have you had much snow so far?

I’m in California, and we’re a bunch of wimps. We have no snow in the San Francisco Bay Area (except on really strange and rare years, and even then it melts as soon as it hits the ground), and no real seasons to speak of. We have warm, and wet. And that’s about it. Temperatures where I am can range anywhere from 29 (on a really cold dead of winter night, rare sort of cold snap) to 102 (and those hot spells aren’t as rare as they used to be, unfortunately).

2) How do you heat your home? At what temperature do you usually set your thermostat in the wintertime? Do you have a fireplace, and do you use it often? Are your heating bills usually expensive in the winter or about average?

We have a heater built into the house, and we sit it at 65 or 68 depending on the weather outside. It’s been really cold lately, and we’ve bumped it to 68 to ward off the chill of it being about 30 degrees outside at night. It’s been a really bizarre cold snap – and I hear it’s coming back. We have a fireplace, but we only usually use it two or three times a year. I don’t want to discuss heating bills because that will start me on a PG&E rant, and I’m not gonna go there.

3) What are some of your favorite winter/cold weather activities and/or sports? What type of winter coat do you have, and what accessories do you usually wear with it? [Scarves, hats, mittens/gloves, etc.]

Cold winter activities – that would be stitching in a really warm house that smells like brown sugar has been baked in the oven and watching movies. Honestly, I’m not a cold weather creature, although a good walk every once in a while in the cold works for me. I’d sit outside to watch a rugby game in the cold too (been there, done that, was even part of the co-ed team for awhile, don’t have the rugby shirt unfortunately). I’ve got a good lined leather jacket that I use in the colder weather and the rain, and a pair of gloves that matches it.

4) Do you enjoy winter, or do you prefer a different season? Why/why not? Do you ever suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder [SAD] in the wintertime? Do you ever travel to warmer climates to get away from the cold temperatures?

I’m ok with the winter – I love the rain and stormy weather and I only get that in the winter. I don’t suffer from any SAD that I’m aware of, but the holidays this year did start to bog me down a little. I think I just needed to get past Thanksgiving and a couple of other things to be able to be right on track. I’ve never traveled to escape the cold – there’s nothing wrong with the weather not being what you expected it to be.

5) What are some of your favorite winter foods and beverages?

Agood hot chocolate with a shot of brandy and whipped cream works for me, as does a good chicken stew with dumplings, or lasagna…. Winter becomes my excuse to bake and bake…



Well folks, that's it from me today. I'm going to hunker down with my Starbucks hot chocolate with raspberry syrup and get through the day. Have a great weekend!!!