site stats WhizGidget Wonders...
Friday, October 15, 2004
It's Friday... and time for the Friday Forum....
1] Do you consider yourself a physically fit person? Why/why not?

That depends on what your definition of physically fit is... If your definition is the ability to run a marathon and you have an aerobic instructor's rear end (which is what I think sometimes is DH's definition), then no. I'm definitely NOT physically fit and never will be. If your definition is to make it to the top of the stairs without breaking a sweat or breathing hard, then I'm waaaay beyond that.

Let's put it this way - I'm between the two, but probably closer to the first definition than the second. I work out 4 times I week (most weeks), I try to eat well... I take care of myself. I walk almost every day to get my lunch - and we're not talking to the machine and the microwave - we're talking outdoors, around the 150,000 sq ft building we're in (at least once) and then off to whatever eatery is close by, and then a walk back. At least 20 minutes of walking.

2] What are your favorite types of exercise? Do you have ny favorite sports that you enjoy participating in, and how often do you work out?

I love going to Curves, and these days, that's about all that I do (besides the walking) for exercise. I like cardio and strength exercises, but I don't have any favorite sports that I do anymore. I'm so rusty at all of them, and generally I'm sore for days afterward. It would have to be something that I do over and over again regularly for me not to be sore (as with any sport), but there's nothing that I want to make that sort of time committment to.

3] Do you follow any special eating plans, diets, nutritional philosophies, weight-loss goals, etc.? Why or why not? How long have you been doing so, and have you had success with them?

I don't follow any specific or special weight loss plants or diets. I've cut way back on sodas, am drinking lots more water, and don't hit the fast food joints as often as I used to. My goal is to make it to 24% body fat, and I'm currently at 26.2% - and I feel like I've been there forever, but I've also been steadily losing inches off my measurements, and I'm really happier about that than anything else. In light of that, I won't grouse about the body fat.

When I started out, I was 28.4% body fat. That was 14 months ago. I've dropped to 26.2% and lost 14 inches off my measurements. I consider that winning progress.

4] What would you most like to change about your physical appearance? Which features of your body do you like the most?

My nose has a bone spur that I'd like to get rid of - but that's a cosmetic thing. I think I'd like to have a flat tummy - just to know what it's like to have one. I'm working on that too - I have the sore ab muscles from the sit ups/crunches to prove it too.

5] Do you feel that it's important to encourage children to become involved in sports? Why/why not? Did you participate in athletics when you were growing up?

Absolutely! Kids these days have so many couch potato distractions that can keep them inside, and homework (or very bad weather conditions) should be the only things keeping them indoors. There's PlayStation/XBox/Game Cube, and the portable versions of such, and things like DVD movie rentals by mail, and the internet - all that encourages our kids to spend less time outside in the fresh air and sun. Even if it's just reading a book in the sun - you're still outside.

But that's not the point of this statement... Sports encourage a lot of different things for kids - Teamwork, goals, strength training, activity, and pride in what you do (as long as you don't have a horrid coach or rabid parents who are pushing you to be the best there is, instead of having the fun that you're supposed to be having in a team sport).

I didn't participate in sports (other than P.E. class) until I was in high school - then it was some track, and a limited run of soccer (I loved it, but I sucked at it). In college it was co-ed rugby for 6 months (no, no broken collarbones here, just lots of bruising). All of these were important to me for the amount of activity that I got from it, and the teamwork - a very important skill for everyone to learn.

The reason I didn't participate earlier than high-school? I could get parental permission. Rabidly over-protective paranoid mom who thought I would break something, or have my head banged into something and rendered a vegetable...

...I just wonder what kind of shape I would be in if I'd had those early years in a team sport.



That's it from me today... have a great weekend!!!