site stats WhizGidget Wonders...
Friday, August 20, 2004
The Friday Five...

...finally... on the non-popular Friday Five site... I may update with the other one if they actually post it.

This time it's about money. My favorite subject... sometimes.

I hope that no one takes any offense at my answers - especially the first one - I grew up in a house where there was almost no money. I never got an allowance, only earned money for my grades, and whatever Grandma (who passed this spring) would slip me when Mom wasn't looking. I've always been careful (read: paranoid) about money my whole life - including when I started working at a real company and didn't have to worry about making those short ends meet. I may not balance my checkbook regularly, but I do keep my eye on it online, and what's in my head matches what the bank has...

I don't have to pinch pennies or coupon clip, but I do. It's a smart thing. And I hate hearing about friends who *have* to pinch every single penny because that's all they have. Trust me, I've been feeling the pinch too - taxes aren't fun, and DH's employment situation (or lack of one) hasn't been fun either for the savings.

*sigh* Onto the Five...



1) What's the smallest amount of money you've ever had in your checking account?
I think that would have to be about $100 - from when I started the account when I was 18. The average low number for me *now* is, well, enough for most people to put a good downpayment on a car. You just never know when life's little emergencies rear up and smack you upside the head, and I always like having accessible cash.

2) What's one non-basic-need item (not things like toilet paper and deoderant) that you absolutely must have no matter how broke you are?
When I was in college, or living on my own without a job (which was the last time that I was truly broke), it was Doritos. I had to have a bag of them around all the time. It wasn't that I was eating them all the time, it was just that I had to have them if I wanted them. For some reason, they made me feel better - the little disposible extravagance that most people won't think about. That and my Costco membership - best way to get lots of food reasonably priced, because I love to cook.

3) What's your favorite cheap meal to make at home?
Macaroni and cheese, of course! Actually, that's the kids favorite. I'm good with taking a box of the garlic and olive oil Pasta Roni and either adding some frozen chopped broccoli to it, or adding a tablespoon or two of pesto (which is also cheap to make if you grow the basil). Another one is just some plain angel hair pasta sauteed with a tomato, garlic, and some butter.

4) What's the first thing you treat yourself to on payday?
I don't. I'm amazingly not like other women who would run out and get a manicure or do their hair. My paycheck automatically goes in the bank on Thursday evenings and the money is there Friday. I don't do anything with it except let it sit there until I need to pay a credit card bill (which usually is the kids tuition and some groceries.)

I guess since I tend to get a burger and fries (and all the works) every other Friday as a treat for myself, you could say that that is what I treat myself to. I usually only go buy a 'paycheck present' for myself when I get a raise...

5) What are your favorite free activities to do when you're completely broke?
Gosh, I have to try and remember my college days, don't I?
Watch a movie from my collection...
Read a library book in the park...
Get a deck of cards and play solitaire...
Watch TV...
Mallwalk and window shop with friends, playing the "what if I had $5000" game...



So that's it from me... have a great weekend everyone!