site stats WhizGidget Wonders...
Monday, May 03, 2004
It's Monday... and the Stitcher's Five

... I have to say that this makes creating a topic on a Monday so gosh darn easy.

1.)Which is your favourite brand of specialty thread?
Oh boy... that's a hard one, since there are so many. I really enjoy working with Vikki Clayton's silks - the smooth feel and the gradient colors are just lovely. Kreinik Silk Mori is a dream too.

Then there's Needle Necessities Calypso - I just love a thread that stands out.

2.)Why?
I think one of the main parts of the appeal to Vikki's threads are that they're relatively inexpensive, while still being good quality. (Don't *I* sound like a Wal-Mart commercial there?) They're soft, but still have that satisfying subtle 'crunch' that a good silk thread should have.

3)How many other brands of thread do you have in your stash?
Lots. I may not have full sets (that would be insane), but there's lots: Kreinik Mori, Soie D'Alger, Needle Necessities, DMC, Anchor multicolor, JP Coats (multicolor), Caron Waterlilies and Watercolors, and lots lots more.

4.) How do you store your threads?
Each thread color gets a floss-a-way baggie of it's very own and those are stored either on rings or in File-A-Floss boxes. The ones on rings will eventually go INTO the File-A-Floss boxes when I get a little bit of time to do that. Actually, I have the time but I don't want to give up stitching time to put sticky tabs on bags and file floss away.

But I will do it... soon.

5.) How confident do you feel at substituting between thread types and colours compared to what the chart calls for?
Considering that I've done an entire color change of Teresa Wentzler's 'The Castle' and have gotten numerous requests to post the conversion and numerous compliments from those who have seen the original colors and my version (done in reds and golds), I'd have to say I'm pretty darn confident.

It *does* take time though. I spent quite a few hours sitting at the kitchen table (where the best natural sunlight comes in) and comparing color families, shades, blends and what would work best for the dragon in question.

Would I do it again? You betcha. Have I been compelled to? No, not on that scale again. Yet. We'll just have to wait and see.