site stats WhizGidget Wonders...
Tuesday, May 18, 2004
Hockey...

...The sport of fighters. Whoops, I meant the sport of high tempered men. No, well... you know what I mean.

It's that time of year again. The time of year that I actually turn into a guy. That's right... I yell louder than DH (who doesn't yell) at the television with every missed shot, or blocked goal of my team.

What team would that be, you ask? Well, that would be the San Jose Sharks. Which DH unaffectionately calls "The Snarks". I take offense at this - they're a really good team this year. Some years they earn that nickname, but not this year.

This year they've made it farther in the playoffs than they ever have before. This year they've got a serious shot at being the Western Conference Champions. This year, they could actually play for the Stanley Cup. They could do all of that...

...if they could manage to win on home ice.

Last night Game 5 ended at the Shark Tank (a.k.a. HP Pavilion; yes, I know it's the name of a computer and I think it was planned that way) and the Calgary Flames were up by a game. The series is now 3-2 in favor of the Flames. Game 6 is to be played on Calgary's home turf on Wednesday. If the current trend holds, the Sharks will win that one - they have to win that one, else it's all over.

But if the trend continues to hold, they'll lose the series anyway, since they've not won a game on home ice, and Game 7 is going to be on home ice. The Sharks did break with their trend of winning the second of back to back road games last night by losing to Calgary, but I'm not holding my breath.

There is a bit of elemental irony there - the Flames (fire) and the Sharks (water) - and you know what happens when equal amounts of fire and water meet... you bet there's been plenty of sizzle. There's been some great hockey played for the last week. Incredible hockey. Screaming myself hoarse at the television hockey. There's also been some fizzle in some of the shots that were attempted and blocked, and in the commentators. I've toyed with the idea of turning off the ESPN commentators and listening to Dan Rusanowski call the game on KFOX instead because he knows how to call a game.

Of course, that won't remove that blond thing that thinks she's a sports reporter from the screen. I'm sure she's perfectly capable of... well, something sports related, but it's definitely not being a reporter at a hockey game. Hey, I'm all for women advancing in reporting sports, but I'm still scratching my head about how this one managed to get to call commentary for ESPN. She's too bland, her smile (when she graces us with it) is flat and unfeeling, and I think she's only there to drool on the good looking hockey players. I'd bet a bunch o' money that she was disappointed when she met Mike Ricci and found out that for all his darling looks and mane of gorgeous hair that he's missing his front teeth.

Darlin', now *that's* a hockey player for ya. ESPN? Get rid of the chick and get someone who actually knows how to call the temperment of the crowd and conduct an interview that doesn't have the "human interest" twist to it. Supposedly this woman has a long career of covering hockey games... it doesn't show. She knows how to dress for the camera, though.

Regardless of who wins, despite my posts on the TWBB poking gently at the Flames fans, it's been a great series of hockey. It'll even be a great series if it goes to Game 7 and I have to miss most of it because I'll be at dinner with the rest of the crew from CATS. It'll even be a great series if the Sharks lose - even if I'm heartbroken Friday night, I'll be among good friends and stash on Saturday and can drown my sorrows in that...

...so here's to more sizzle than fizzle on the ice at face off and after the puck drops on Wednesday night.