site stats WhizGidget Wonders...
Monday, December 01, 2003
Let's talk etiquette....

Actually, let's not and just say we did. Ah, ok. Since you insisted, let's talk etiquette. One specific rule in etiquette is what I want to address.

Bling bling. Yup. Jewelry.

I was reminded (by a SIL) on Thanksgiving that a lady never wears diamond jewelry (except for her wedding set) prior to 6pm. I was quietly reminded of this at 4:45 in the afternoon while wearing a black shirt and my ever-present diamond heart that DH gave me for our 6th anniversary.

It was the first anniversary present he'd ever given me, and I always wear it.

All the time.

I put it on when I'm heading for work, which is at 5:15 in the morning. DH has commented on it - he gave me his heart... which I wear daily. He never thought it would have such an impact on me that I would wear it daily.

Obviously, I'm breaking a most important etiquette rule. I looked at the SIL and said 'Treasured gift. So, what's your point?' and went about my business. She didn't push the issue, thankfully, but I thought about it further. Especially since it was covered in a Miss Manners column this weekend.

Should I not be wearing what amounts to a treasured gift from DH? I should think that that would be perfectly appropriate, especially since it's such a small item...

*sigh* Such a picky thing....