site stats WhizGidget Wonders...
Tuesday, November 25, 2003
You better, you bet....

...sometimes those songs just stick with you all day long... not sure why this one stuck yesterday... *sigh*

Lotus Notes, Day One. I survived. And I was too tired to go to Curves after it was over. But, it seems, that people actually like Lotus. I suspect that will change as today, Day 2, progresses.

So, have you ever noticed that the things that are really worth pursuing are the ones that you go after with everything you have? You don't whine about it. You don't cry over it. You just push forward with everything you have in pursuit of that goal.

That's how I feel about my stitching sometimes. I may make tons of mistakes that I have to pull out, I may have aches in my shoulder that hurt worse after two hours than when I spend 10 hours at my desk at work navigating that mouse... but I just keep pushing on to get that piece completed. And it's all worth it in the end when you take that final step back and take a good long look at your investment of time and love and ability.

And it's even more worth it when you pass it hanging on the walls and it makes you stop and take another long look at it. I recently did that with my first large finish, Teresa Wentzler's 'Dragon Ride'. A Very Small pic of it can be seen by clicking here.

I first started that piece on St. Patrick's Day 2000. And I finished August 8, 2000. I didn't know it was supposed to be hard. And I finished it that quickly after having to frog out that entire back wing because I was one stitch off.

I was so proud of having it framed, that I didn't think far enough ahead to where I should hang it once it was done. And I was completely blown away when DH took down a beautiful concept sketch from 'Bambi' (yes, the Disney movie 'Bambi') and hung 'Dragon Ride' in its place. I was blown away. Why was he taking down this work of art to hang this dragon in its place? Because it, too, was a work of art. I still get teary if I think about it for a long period of time. So I think I'll stop talking about it now before I get teary.

I guess what I'm getting to here is a quote I ran across recently. "There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart. Pursue them." It's those ones that strike deep within you and resonate like a gong struck in a symphony hall that are the pursuits worth following. Some people would refer to it as a calling. Others an obsession. Be that as it may, it goes back to what I said before - you pursue it without question, without whining, and with everything you have. And sometimes those things just lead you on the most interesting roller coaster rides, and you're just hanging on for dear life, waiting to see where the ride ends.

No, no new obsessions or heart's pursuits for me at the moment. But you can bet that when one crosses my path, I'll be going after it with everything I am...

...and I'll be hanging on to enjoy the ride.