site stats WhizGidget Wonders...
Wednesday, March 29, 2006
Rain, Rain, Rain...

...I'm not sure if I want it to go away or to stick around. We here in the San Francisco Bay Area (or, in my case ) have sat through what is most likely to be the wettest March on record - in terms of inches of rain *and* days of rain in the month.

Seriously. We've had rain for about 24 days of the month. And we're on the 29th day of the month. And it's supposed to rain for another couple of days. Oh wait, maybe it will clear up and warm up on Thursday, but the rain will be back on Friday. Then again maybe not. The weather people cannot make up their minds other than to say "unsettled" at the moment.

Normally I'd be ok with this, except I've got two little girls on a baseball team that are getting sick of rain delays. The game that we were supposed to play Saturday got rescheduled for Tuesday at 5pm because the field was partially under water and the dugouts were swamps. Well, when I checked out the field on Monday I found that second and home were still under a couple of inches of puddle and the dugouts were still mudbogs. And according to another coach they were way better than they were on Saturday.

Yesterday was Tuesday (I know I didn't need to tell you that). Yesterday was the day of the rescheduled game. It rained a lot on Monday night and on Tuesday morning, and the game wasn't called until 2:45pm. Originally it was termed 'we'll play unless it's raining on the field at 5pm'. I think some parents probably complained because it was pouring outside when I was listening to that first message.

So, the game has been postponed again until Thursday (and we play again on Saturday). But last night as I was going to bed it was dry out. Then the pounding rain woke me up in the middle of the night. It was windy and unbearably wet while I was driving to work this morning. I contemplated a Starbucks stop but I didn't want my wrist to be drenched for the two seconds it would take me to hand over my Starbucks card. Yes, drenched. It was bad enough I was feeling like a drowned rat when I made it into my car from the front porch which is a ridiculously short 15 feet.

Funny thing - I may sound fed up with the rain, but I'm actually happy with it raining. The hills are beautifully green, the reservoirs are filling up, I'm not hearing anything about flood watches or mudslides. And everything looks really pretty in the rain, even if it's dark and gloomy outside, and I don't mind being a little happy when the weatherperson says there's rain in the forecast. I like the warm and cozy feeling I get in the house when I come in from the cold and rain. I love the music that the rain makes on the roof and windows of my house...

...even still, the best music though would be hearing the coach say "Play Ball!"