site stats WhizGidget Wonders...
Wednesday, March 05, 2008
Happy Anniversary to Me...
...Saturday would have been 9 years at that DVD place if I were still there, but that's not the anniversary that I'm referring to. I'm referring to my 13th wedding anniversary. Today. And in honor of it, I'll post the marriage meme that was going around at Valentine's Day (where I snatched it from Annette and Rani)

A Marriage Meme

1. Where / how did you meet?

College. He was helping move his youngest sister into her dorm room - she was my roommate.

2. How long have you known each other?

16 1/2 years. We met in September 1991.

3. How long after you met did you start dating?

6 months. We started officially dating in March 1992. So, yes, we've been together for 16 years now.

4. How long did you date before you were engaged?

About 8 1/2 months. He asked me to marry him in December 1992, right after the bulk of my senior year finals and projects were over. He didn't want to distract me from those was his statement at the time because he was going to ask earlier but I was focused.

5. How long was your engagement?

About 2 years - from Dec 92 to March 95

6. How long have you been married?

13 years *today*. I've always been wary of the number 13, but considering that the anniversary marks the end of the numbered year I'm not too concerned.

7. What is your anniversary?

Duh. Get this - our first date was March 7, 1992. We married 3 years later, almost exactly.

8. How many people came to your wedding reception?

About 100.

9. What kind of cake did you serve?

I honestly don't recall. I know it was a white cake, cream frosting. I honestly can't remember the filling. I think raspberry was involved because my wedding favors were See's truffles - dark chocolate with raspberry.

Oh right, I have 13 of those on a plate waiting for me in the kitchen. Isn't that sweet? Literally.

10. Where was your wedding?

At our local parish. Apparently my father let me know that my mother was miffed that it wasn't being held at *her* church. Um, since she hadn't attended a church for about 15 years at that point I didn't see the point in trying to figure out what parish I would need to drive for two hours to get to.

So we held the church at DH's parents parish (which had become mine too) and the reception at the church hall.

11. What did you serve for the meal?

Buffet style... there were light sandwiches, and some very nicely done chicken. I barely remember because I barely got to eat. And it's been awhile. DH will scold me lightly, I'm sure, because I've forgotten. I remember more about the emotion and seriousness of the ceremony and commitment than the little details like food.

Me? Forget food... I *know*.

12. How many people were in your bridal party?

3 on each side.

13. Are you still friends with them all?

Let's see... bride's side: Maid of honor - yes, first bridesmaid - yes. I don't talk to either of them much but we're still on great terms and fall in like no time has passed when we're together. Second bridesmaid - we don't speak. And she's DH's little sister.
Groom's side: Best man - yes, but he's on the other side of the country being a workaholic (and he's DH's BIL). First groomsman - yes, he's one of DH's brothers. Second groomsman - yes, we're still friends.

14. Did your spouse cry during the ceremony?

No. We were too busy smiling our heads off.

15. Most special moment of your wedding day?

The whole day was great...

16. Any funny moments?

Well, there was when DH fumbled a line in the vows that I giggled at. And my grandmother threatened DH's life twice.

17. Any big disasters?

My mother thinks that the rain that started coming down after the reception ended was a sign. I subscribe to it being a fruitful blessing.

18. Where did you go on your honeymoon?

Fiji. The island of Qamea specifically. It's a high end spa resort now where celebrities stay. There was only one other couple there when we were so it was like we had the whole island to ourselves. No television, no telephone (the one phone on the island - in the office - worked some of the time). Truly paradise.

19. How long were you gone?

8 days.

20. If you were to do your wedding over, what would you change?

I don't think I'd change a thing.

21. What side of the bed do you sleep on?

My side. Closest to the bathroom and the door.

22. What size is your bed?

Queen. We finally upgraded from a full where we were constantly stealing covers and bumping into each other.

23. Greatest strength as a couple?

Good question. I think it's that we're sort of like minded and we pretty much agree on most things, which keeps strife at a great minimum.

24. Greatest challenge as a couple?

My parents. Our equal stubborn streaks. I don't know - we really haven't faced anything that I would consider a challenge.

25. Who literally pays the bills?

He writes the checks for almost everything. I pay the satellite dish bill. Online.

26. What is your song?

We danced to "A Whole New World" at our wedding. I don't know that we could call it our song, specifically...

27. What did you dance your first dance to?

See # 26

28. Describe your wedding dress.

White, no train, bell skirt, slimming down to the waist. Sliding sleeves that sat off my shoulders. Heart shaped neckline.

29. What kind of flowers did you have at your wedding?

Lilies and pink roses.

30. Are your wedding bands engraved?

Nope. Not matching really either but it doesn't matter - the rings don't matter, it's the meaning behind them.



That's what it's all about - the meaning. 13 wonderful years DH. Thank you for each and every second of them. Even the ones where I was screaming in labor.