site stats WhizGidget Wonders...
Wednesday, February 27, 2008
We Could All Use A Good Cry...
...I just heard something on the radio the other day, but it stems from an older study that tells us that we could all use a good cry every once in a while. They were talking about how a good cry can make you feel better and lift your mood and then started asking what movies make you cry.

I think most of my female readers can understand that a good cry is necessary and that we often feel better after such. I know I do, without even explanation as to why I feel better.

Deep down I think we all know that crying makes us feel better because it relieves a little stress. And we're right, apparently. Crying is good for us once in a while. I'm sure that you can't force it, but you shouldn't suppress it when you feel that it's coming.

Crying does three things, according to an older study: it gets rid of toxins in your body, prevents emotions from being suppressed, and it lifts your mood.

Yes, it lifts your mood because when you cry you release endorphins and they are mood elevators and pain suppressors. So you cry and you release the natural happy drugs your body makes, you release stress and other emotions that you've been holding in, and you get rid of the bad stuff in your body. I'd say that's a good argument for having a good cry.

There's a popular opinion that suppressing your negative emotions can lead to a depressive state. I think that there's some truth in that, and when one is depressed apparently they're less likely to cry at something sad (according to something I read that I've lost the link to, else I would have posted it here). That makes some sense to me in a twisted sort of way. I'm sure that's not true for everyone, but true for some.

I was feeling blue the other day - really really down - and I didn't want to cry at the office, but I ended up doing so. I was fighting it for sure because I didn't want someone to walk in while I was and I would have to explain why. And the vague "just because I'm blue" with no reason will garner one of two responses - either I'm depressed/something is wrong with me or because I'm female. I was blue, I felt lonely, stressed out, hopeless. I sent DH an email saying so and got one back pretty quickly that said everyone at home loved me.

That sent me over the edge and I cried hard for about 15 minutes. Then I drank some water and straightened myself up and felt better. I felt like I could make it through the day without an issue. And my head was clearer - so much so that I could speak clearly about everything that has been going on in this office to the new VP of Marketing when she asked how things were.

Yes, crying really does make me feel better, and I've learned something. When I feel blue, don't try and watch something that's going to make me laugh, but instead something that's probably going to make me cry. The emotional response and release of tears will clear my head and make me feel better...

...so, who wants to watch "Titanic", "The Notebook", or "The Goodbye Girl" with me?