site stats WhizGidget Wonders...
Thursday, April 05, 2007
The Trials of the Tooth Fairy...
...I have kids. Kids lose teeth - that's part of growing up. And because they lose teeth, that means visits from the Tooth Fairy.

Now, the Tooth Fairy is a rather interesting creature in our house. She's stingy. Apparently the fairy leaves things like $5 bills and reportedly up to $25 for other kids in A's classes. The fairy only leaves gold $1 coins for A.

That's what the Tooth Fairy has done for years in our house. It's always been gold $1 coins. A has always been appreciative of this too, except for the time that she wrote a nasty note to the Tooth Fairy for not coming by one night. She was rather upset by that. I don't think the fairy was too upset though, considering that was balanced with notes to the fairy about her tooth, and one particularly kind note that involved apologizing to the fairy that she'd lost the tooth, and then *lost* the tooth somewhere in her room. The fairy left a gold $1 coin anyway and a note saying to leave the tooth out when A finds it.

I remember when A treasured those parchment and calligraphy notes from the fairy. I don't know where she's got them stashed, but they're surely treasures. B treasures hers, along with her gold $1 coins that she's earned. But not A...

She's a bit perturbed about this lack of funds being sent her way when she's allegedly got friends who are rolling in money every time they lose a tooth. I think she's been trying to hunt the poor fairy down to discuss this with her. She's got it in her brain that *I* am the Tooth Fairy, and I've asked her wherever would I put all those teeth. And what would I do with them once I had them since I'm clearly not sporting any tooth necklaces or have any shrines sitting about.

She's not quite convinced. We've shown her the photos of the fairy that are in "Goodnight Opus", and she's seen the Santa Clause movies with that fairy. We've assured her that the fairy isn't a he, but in order to protect her identity they hired a man to be the tooth fairy. But that *is* a close approximation of her wings that he's wearing.

She's started checking the gold coins that the fairy gives her very carefully. You see, she doesn't want to spend them, so she sells them to us for paper money. That's fine. I consider it a fair exchange. The other day she went to DH after losing a tooth quite unexpectedly, showed him the coin and said she'd already gotten that one twice before. And that this was proof that I was the Tooth Fairy.

DH is a smart guy. And quick on his feet, too. He reminded A that she sells the coins back to us and we spend them. And he has no idea where the Tooth Fairy gets her coins. So maybe that is the same one, but only because we put them back into circulation. He says she's skeptical, I say she's possibly got a career in forensics.

She did try to trip DH up and convince him that it is the same coin, but I figured that's not possible considering that coin was cleaned up pretty good before it made it into her bedroom...

...not that I'm admitting that I'm the Tooth Fairy, mind you. I'm just sayin'.