site stats WhizGidget Wonders...
Thursday, March 02, 2006
Happy Birthday Dr. Suess!


Try as I might,
I couldn't, last night,
Come up with the words
To wish you this right.

It's an anniversary today
(He'd be one hundred and two!)
If he were still with us
And I wish he was too.

His words often kept me
in smiles and laughs too
With that Suessian rhythm
And cows that go Moo-Moo

There was Yertle the Turtle
An evil mean Grinch
And a lazy bird's egg
That got sat on in a pinch

Gerald McBoingBoing,
And a Lorax or two
Would round out a collection
Perfect for You.


Ok, I know it's not my best work, and really doesn't follow the Suessian Rhythm all that well, but it will have to do in a pinch.

It's Read Across America Week - today is a very special and specific day though, because it's Dr. Suess' (a.k.a. Theodore Geisel) birthday. So pick up a book and read for a short bit today. I'll have a plethora of books to choose from - anywhere between working through a little more of John Grisham's 'The Broker' to Terry Pratchett's 'Pyramids' to 'Freakanomics' or picking up DH's copy of Guy Kawasaki's 'Selling the Dream'. Or maybe I should just pick up 'Horton Hears a Who'.

A most happy birthday to you Dr. Suess. Thank you for making me want to read, to enjoy it, and to share it with my children. And I hope you forgive me for mastering reading "Green Eggs and Ham" without taking a breath in under 2 minutes for the enjoyment of all my daughters' classmates. Tomorrow, though, I think I'll read them "All The Places You'll Go"...

....and wishing that I'd gotten it for my boss' retirement dinner last night.