site stats WhizGidget Wonders...
Monday, August 01, 2005
To B... You're... Eight?

...Whenever did I give you permission to turn 8, little one?

Wait a second, you're not so little anymore. You've gotten tall, and thin. And more adventurous about trying new things. Where did my shy and timid little B go to?

I'm starting to see in you the teenager that you're going to grow up to be. That sweet happy smile is still there and always will be. But you have a sensitive nature, and are still unsure of yourself at times.

You know when you've been wronged, but you haven't quite figured out what to do about it, other than to curl up on your Mommy's lap and snuggle and cry. I'm doing my best to give you advice, but it's up to you to use it now. You're big enough to start fighting your own battles. And sometimes you do.

You started trying a lot of new things this year, mostly in the realm of food. I guess that little "green eggs and ham" rule that I thrust upon you actually worked, huh? You never know what you're missing if you don't try it, and that's why you like shrimp now, and are willing to try tamago (but didn't like it), and will dive into any fish that's set in front of you.

You've been reading voraciously - even more than I have - over the summer, but you still don't like math. *sigh* Just wait until we start experimenting with building things - that math is going to come in handy. You're such a smart kid... but we need to work on that memory of yours.

You're pretty happy to go with the flow of things, unless you're really set on doing something, but you're also good with compromises. That will serve you well as you get older.

8. I still can't quite wrap my brain around the fact that you're 8. That I'm old enough myself to have an 8 year old daughter. That my sweet, cuddly, always hungry baby that I was just holding is 8.

Forgive your mommy while she cries, but it's mostly out of pride at what a wonderful person you are turning into.