site stats WhizGidget Wonders...
Monday, January 24, 2005
Comments, we get comments....

...Good gravy, last week was filled with blog topics that elicited more comments in that one week than I usually get in a month.

I would say that I'm rendered speechless at that, but then y'all know that that's a lie because you're reading words right now.

I'm really glad that I was able to provide you with topics that were thought-provoking enough that you were compelled to say something back to me, and I truly appreciate the feedback and your opinions.

Now that that's aside (and I've been meaning to say thank you for awhile, but last week's plethora of commenting pushed me to do it finally), let's move on to the Sunday Brunch for the week (and some thoughts about it at the end)!



"I can think of nothing more boring for the American people than to have to sit in their living rooms for a whole half hour looking at my face on their television screens." -Dwight D. Eisenhower

1) What sitcom have you seen every episode of?

Oh boy, I don't think that there's a show out there that can claim that I've seen every episode of unless it was a pilot that lasted two episodes or something. Maybe 'Cheers' or 'Anything But Love' could claim I've seen every single episode. Honestly, I'm sure there's probably one or two out there though that I've missed.

2) What sitcom makes you laugh until you cry?

Let's see... 'Cheers' used to do that. I remember an episode that had Sam and Rebecca in her office and she sat down on the couch and said in a deadpan voice, "Oh yeah, take me now." I just lost it for that episode... 'Mad About You' as well because I used to complain to DH that we must know people who write that show because there were full conversations that the characters would have that would be perfect mimics of what he and I would talk about just a few weeks earlier.

3) What sitcom do you wish had not been cancelled?

Hrm... There's a few one hour dramas that I wish hadn't been cancelled, but I can't make that claim with sitcoms. DH and I chatted briefly about this one. There's things like 'Growing Pains' and 'Family Ties', but they had long fruitful runs on television - they ran themselves out. And such is the case for most of the sitcoms that I've ever watched.

So, no, there really isn't any that I wish hadn't been cancelled... again, unless it was a pilot or a couple of episodes that just failed that I may have managed to catch and enjoy.

4) What sitcom do you wish they WOULD cancel?

Well, 'Friends' is already gone, so I can't wish for that. 'Frasier' is long gone too. I have nothing against either of those shows, they just had run themselves out. So I can't make that claim for any sitcoms - I even went and looked at the lineup for all the major networks, and honestly, have you noticed that we're very sitcom thin on NBC, CBS and ABC? I'm not familiar enough with FOX and UPN shows to determine whether they're cancel-worthy in my opinion, and I really don't care about any of the other shows that are on at the moment.

I have sitcom-apathy.

5) Who is your favorite sitcom character, either past or present?

Alex P. Keaton. He was perfect, except Replublican. Semi-conservative, family driving him nuts, cute, capitalistic. Everything an aspiring world conqueror would want. Because that's what my goal was way back when - conquer the world. Even if it was the corporate world. And wouldn't Alex Keaton have been my perfect foil?

But then, that's just my opinion.



You know, I really had to give this one some more thought, but I *am* sitcome-apathetic. I used to watch sitcoms growing up all the time - 'Growing Pains', 'Perfect Strangers', 'The Cosby Show', 'Cheers', 'Newhart', the list goes on and on and on... I wasn't particular about any network, it was free-range sitcom viewing and very little on the one-hour drama scale. In fact, I think the only hourlong shows I'd watch were 'St. Elsewhere' and 'Scarecrow and Mrs. King' and maybe the rare episode of 'Hill Street Blues' if I could prop my eyelids open long enough. Seriously, I was watching this stuff as a kid.

I think I graduated to the hourlong shows when I went to college, or maybe even past that. That's the thought that struck me as I was driving in this morning to work, and I wondered why that was so. I think it may have been the result of really not having much to laugh about or be happy about when I was growing up, and I found solace in a laugh track. Lots of laugh tracks.

Now, I have plenty to make me smile and keep me happy, and so I find the shows that have a little "out there" drama (or drama-edy as they're calling some of these). The action shows appeal to me ('24' and 'Alias') and I still have a medical drama in there with a large ensemble cast ('ER'), just like St. Elsewhere. There's also a healthy dose of sci-fi ('Enterprise', 'Stargate SG-1', etc). Maybe there's a little too much television (much like there was when I was growing up), but at least it doesn't have a laugh track.

In fact, I don't think that there's a sitcom out there that could draw me in now if it tried.