site stats WhizGidget Wonders...
Wednesday, March 31, 2004
The Stitcher's Five...

...So I'll do this today in lieu of an actual entry

1. When did you first start stitching?
The first time or the second time? I started stitching when I was about 12 or 13 - small things. I'd already accomplished some plastic canvas thing, and a latch hook rug. I picked up a stamped cross stitch kit somewhere, and did that rather quickly, but I wasn't too sure about whether I'd put the right colors in the right places. Then I decided to try my hand at counted. I couldn't get the hang of that to save my life until about two years later.

And then I found a brand new leaflet with this Unicorn standing in the darkness outside a window. I was about 15 or 16. Little did I know that the designer would become one of my ultimate favorites and that a BB for discussing her stuff and other things would become significant half a lifetime later. Anyway, I was working away at a corner of it (and finally LOVING counted) as I'd barely started when one of my friends saw me in my yearbook office and told a couple of other friends. Pretty soon I was getting grief for doing "Grandma" stuff. I dropped the stitching immediately. I don't know where that leaflet is anymore...

Then I picked it up again when I was 27 - my kids' homesitter stitched like a demon possessed - she could whip through almost anything so fast. And she was stitching the cutest little bears - all dressed up in different uniforms to signify a profession or costumes as if they're other animals or to celebrate a holiday. I got an idea almost immediately to stitch something for my girls. She told me the designer's name (Lynn Busa) who happened to be a penpal of hers, and the booklet name (101 Bears with Personalities) and off I went. And I've not stopped since. I didn't realize until I picked up two dragon designs (Castle and Dragon Ride) that I fell in love with, that I'd made my way back to the designer that started my love of counted.

2. How long have you been stitching?
About 5 years steadily, not counting the first years when I was a teen.

3. Did someone teach you or did you teach yourself?
Myself, myself, myself. My mom said her mom knew how to do it, but she didn't. Grandma could crochet, but not stitch. Mom didn't know how to do anything.

4. Describe your first project (if you can remember!).
I'll describe what got me started again when I was 27. I found the leaflet with the bears, and another booklet with a flowery alphabet. I charted out my daughters' names, and stitched them, and I changed the colors, and then I put a couple of bears (with buttons and sparkly sewing thread - Kreinik, what's that?) around the names, and made them into hangings. The kids still have them hanging off the ends of their beds.

5. When did you first realise that stitching was for you?
Pretty darn quick. The minute I picked up a needle and realized how relaxed I suddenly was did it for me. And there's no looking back (unless there's a deadline to be met).

That's all from me today. See you tomorrow.