site stats WhizGidget Wonders...
Wednesday, March 17, 2004
When you don't know what you want....

... then what do you get?

I find I run into that on a regular basis. I don't know what I want for lunch, or I don't know what I want for dinner, or I don't know what to grab out of the vending machine... either way I either tend to let someone else make the decision, or I go with an old standby.

It's one of my faults, this indecisive thing about food - unless I absolutely *know* what I want and no one can steer me away from it. If I want those chocolate M&M's, or that fajita burrito, or those french fries, then I head straight for them, and you can't really substitute them. Sure, you can find a suitable alternative, but there's nothing like the real thing, and I'll just float along until I get that thing that I want.

I wish companies could be like that with their hiring decisions. Some of you reading know that DH has been interviewing for a position with a company for what seems like forever. He went through one round, and then another. Then he was told he had to meet with 3 more people. Delays ensued in meeting with a couple of them. Then he had to meet a couple more.

It was pure agony for me when he came home after a meeting with the CEO and I found out that he had to meet with 3 MORE people. *sigh* After my initial frustration of a couple of days, I settled back into a 'let's wait and see' mode of thinking. I could understand that they wanted to make the absolute right choice for they were still a very small company - we're talking under 20 people - with a very big idea. They have the money (venture capital) and the brainpower (over half the people working there have PhD's) to pull this off.

So wait we did. And more waiting. And three more meetings. All lights are green, all signs are good, the wind is just right. Everything we heard from the inside was that DH was the candidate for the job. They all thought he was great.

Then we heard nothing. Radio silence for a couple of days. Then came word that they were re-evaluating what they think they needed. I'm sorry, excuse me, say that again? Re-evaluating what you need? Whyever would you start interviewing someone for a position, and bring them through all those levels of interviews, including one with one of the venture capital guys, and then re-evaluate the position? Something just didn't make sense with that one, but again, I just let it go. I mean, there was really nothing that I could do about it, right? It's not like it's a position that *I* was interviewing for.

But it was definitely significant and important.

So, long story short - they re-evaluated and decided they need something else. Something that DH originally thought that they really didn't need at this moment in time. *big sigh* Why couldn't they have figured that out before putting DH (and me) through all of those interviews and all of the waiting and wondering? Why couldn't they have evaluated what they needed and then go looking for the right candidate afterwards? A friend on the inside said DH shouldn't count himself out yet, and somehow I suspect that they really don't know what they want in the first place, and no amount of re-evaluation is going to change that.

In either case, I don't want to hold my breath. I look good in blue, but I really don't want to turn that color permanently. This was a classic case of putting the cart before the horse, or Ready, Fire, Aim. But in reality, I'd rather borrow a term A has used in the past (that I don't let her use) to describe it all...

...what a bunch of stupidheads.