site stats WhizGidget Wonders...
Wednesday, February 21, 2007
It's That Time of Year Again...
...Where one who has grown up Catholic has to consider what they're giving up for Lent.

You see, today is Ash Wednesday and the beginning of Lent. This means no meat today, no meat on Fridays (fish is ok). Today should be bearable since DH was wonderful and cooked a lovely cut of steak last night with mashed potatoes and steamed veggies. The other part that I must do is that I must give up something to honor the sacrifice Christ made. It's a challenge every year to do this.

In past years I've given up chocolate, hard candies, soda, pizza, fast food, cake (of any kind), yelling at my kids, among other things. One year I gave up chocolate, ice cream *and* soda. That was a rather unpleasant year for everyone. I promise to never ever do that again.

But this year has left me stymied. I've cut back so many things... I don't really eat ice cream much anymore. I don't eat chocolate all that often. I don't eat fast food enough to warrant giving it up. My soda consumption has increased to about one can a day... except on weekends when I don't drink it at all unless we're eating out somewhere. I've come to a dead end as to what to do this year.

I could think up a lot of good habits to take up instead - eating fruits and vegetables every day, or making sure to pay someone a compliment daily. Driving at or under the speed limit. Increasing my gym time back to four times a week instead of the intensive three times I go now. But none of those can be considered sacrifices. I could give up television, but the DVR would run out of room, and everyone in the house would shoot me within three days. No, DH, do not take that as an idea and run with it. I will not comply.

I could give up playing the game consoles for the duration of Lent, but I don't play them that often. I could give up the bulletin board that I run, which might make some folks thrilled and others curse my name. I could give up caffeine but then no one will be happy, including me if I happen to get a massive headache at some point. And giving up caffeine means giving up chocolate, and that just doesn't work.

So, here it is, Ash Wednesday, and I still don't know what to give up. Wish me luck folks...

...with whatever it is I (hopefully) decide by the end of the day.