site stats WhizGidget Wonders...
Monday, December 11, 2006
Now I've Really Done It...
...I quit Curves.

Yes, you read that correctly. I quit Curves. After 3 years and 4 months of faithful attendance (except for that one month where I hurt my back *and* developed an intestinal issue) I have left the building. It's not that I don't love Curves - I do. It's just not doing anything for me any longer.

You can only spend so long at a plateau in your measurements before you decide that something more must be done. And it's not going to be done in my diet, either. The big catalyst for this isn't that my measurements have stagnated for the last 6 months. It's that I can't push those hydralic machines any farther than I can now. And I don't feel that lovely bit of sore that you feel after a workout that tells you that you actually *did* something while trying to sweat.

Heck, I was having a hard time even working up a sweat. That was truly telling that I needed to step up. And what was I going to step up to? That was a no-brainer. DH had gotten a pretty little yellow piece of paper that quoted a rate if I joined up. It didn't hurt that it would also get him a few entries into a drawing for a 42" widescreen television. But that's neither here nor there. I've gone from spending $39 a month to $15 a month to punish my body. Yes, less than half. Heck, almost a third.

I know I was paying for the Curves style, name, and location. And that worked for me for a long time, but no longer. And so, last Monday afternoon I went round to the new gym ('The Right Stuff') and worked out for the second time there. The first time was a trial with DH back in the early summer months. And I was sore.

Really sore. My legs felt rubbery when I got off the elliptical machine for the first time, and I knew that I was going to be in trouble. And I didn't overwork the machines, but set comfortable weights and went on from there. And it was nice walking out of there and feeling the sore in my legs already. It wasn't great waking up the following morning with the sore legs and shoulders, but I knew that I could work that out too.

And so here's another new chapter in my evolution to keep my body strong and healthy. Wish me luck...

...because I'm going to need that, and a lot of Motrin to keep going until the muscles acclimate.