site stats WhizGidget Wonders...
Thursday, October 23, 2003
Of this universe and others...

So, last night the Marlins tied up the series. This is a very good thing. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Marlins fan. I was rooting for a Battle of the Bay series (SF Giants and Oakland A's)... but since I couldn't have them, then the Red Sox/Cubbies would have been enough for me. And sadly, since I cannot have that, anyone but the Yankees winning the Series will work for me.

And this year 'anyone' happens to be the Marlins, so they get my support via process of elimination.

But it makes me wonder, if in another universe, that the Giants are indeed playing the A's (and whomping them good), or if the Sox are playing the Cubs (and the series is tied, because I love both teams)... or in a really twisted reality, if the Detroit Tigers and the San Diego Padres are playing in the Big Game... now *that* scares me considering their record this year.

Which brings me to my point... alternate realities. This idea was introduced to me in a strange twist of fate that I don't quite remember exactly how it came about. But somehow I was inspired to read a Richard Bach book one day called "The Bridge Across Forever" - it might have been my meditation teacher that told me about it the more I dwell on it now - and I was hooked on his story of the author and his soulmate. And so I picked up the followup book called "One". It was in "One" that I learned about the idea that there are other realities out there where another "me" took the other route of a decision that I was making, and was living out the consequences (or rewards) of that decision. And for each decision or change made in your life, there is another and another and another "you" that is living out those decisions.

Until there are millions of alternate realities where you exist and are living those lives... and millions where you don't exist anymore as well... or you are a different race... or a different animal! It's a most interesting theory. It's easiest for people to think of it in terms of 'Where would I be had I decided this instead of that'. I often engage in it myself - what if I'd gone to Japan for my last two years of college, or fought harder with the musician my freshman year, or ignored the football player in high school, or told off my supervisor at my first job, or quit my last job sooner than I did...

... and then I wonder if I really would have ended up right where I am at the present moment anyway because, simply, it's where I'm supposed to be.